First Garden Pond build

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to Garden ponds and I am starting my planning stage. I have been in the Saltwater aquarium hobby for 15+ years and I have always wanted a garden pond /Koi pond. I have a old tree stump/mound in my backyard that I want to hide. I will be creating a waterfall feature on top of the stump, and will be using the mound to my advantage for the water to run down and into the pool area. I am thinking the over all gallons will be around 1800-2300 gallons. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 79

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! When you get started, start a thread in the construction thread and fire away with your questions.

Make it as big as possible, you will never regret it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1590176358763.gif
@Dave78
Everything depends on what you want it to turn out to be. Is that the stump or a rock in that photo?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The stump is more at the top back area of the mound, it’s nice and flat. That big rock in the picture will be moved and most likely be part of the base for Waterfall. I plan on having the water flow down we’re that rock currently is and into a kidney shaped pool near the deck and house.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and remeber do not overstock and do not over feed fish and try to keep the pond easier to take care of when you do not have the time for it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!
A lot of us have gotten rid of our store bought filters/UV lights and instead built filtration bogs.

Since you are at the early planning stage it would be a good thing to consider. Pretty much zero maintenance and way better filtration than any pressure filter you can buy.

I added mine years later (I actually just finished it) and it's the best thing I've done for my pond. I wasted too much money and maintenance time with all the filters and UV lights I had over the years.

If you're not familiar with a bog filter, there are lots of thread here on how to construct one. Basically, you have at least 12" of pea gravel. Under the gravel you lay pvc pipes with lots of slits cut in them. You pump the water from the pond through those pipes. The water rises through the gravel and flows back to the pond. You grow plants in the bog which thrive on the nutrients created by the fish waste. Then you sit back and enjoy the clear water.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a old tree stump/mound in my backyard that I want to hide. I will be creating a waterfall feature on top of the stump, and will be using the mound to my advantage for the water to run down and into the pool area.
Please be aware that over time the tree stump and roots will decompose and the ground will sink and may cause problems if you build on top of it.

Ask a Question