First Outdoor Pond - HELP

Reaction score
Guys, I have just bought my first house and the first thing I done when I moved in was dig a garden pond,

4q8y.jpg

The pond details are as follows:

- The pond is 385 Gallons of water (approx)
- 3 pond levels, (2x shelfs and one deep area)
- bird bath
- 5 potted plants - don't ask what they are because I have no idea, but they are common in wild ponds
- 12x Gold Fish - 10 small & 2x Big(ish)

Heres my question/problem:

my uncle maintained that because my pond has no filter/pump then it is a good idea to cover the surface in duckweed as it will keep the water clean, I have done this - but all of the fish are eating the duckweed and not giving it a chance to grow. What should I do and what alternatives do I have?

Thanks in advance

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Barry
Welcome to the forum. please post your location in the UserCP. This will help us help you.

A good summer plant is water lettuce. It is my favorite and it keeps the water filtered and free from excess sunlight. You will not have an algae problem either with these covering the surface.

I just set up a nursery pond using a 160 gallon stock tank. I added several water lettuce and may put in a few more.

Attachments

• 160G Nursery Tank day 1.jpg
    160G Nursery Tank day 1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 314

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, barry from Ireland, one place I have always wanted to visit.

Reaction score
thinks for the welcome!

I ordered myself a pond vacuum, uncle has one and he swears by it, he uses it once a month on the pond, keeps it clean - my pond has been in over a week now and so far the water is crystal clear.

Ask a Question