First pond 1 step forward 2......

Reaction score
Country
United States
This pond has been a joy and headache building. I’ve made some mistake that at this point I’ll just have to live with. Anyways the water has slowly turned green. I’m slowly adding plants. The main setback was that added five fish yesterday and as far as I know only one survived. Pump and the bottom drain too strong. So once the water clears up I’m going to put some mesh over the hole, close the skimmer valve and dial down the air pump.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1564942759413.gif
@RedRunner Yep we all hopefully learn from our mistakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I understand dialing back the suction at the bottom drain, but why dial down the air pump? I believe the more air added to the water the better.
As far as the green water, that's normal. Give it time to balance out. The plants are a definate plus when it comes to that.
And the fish, maybe you added them too soon? Or maybe they are hiding somewhere. You didn't seem too sure. Have you actually found dead ones?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand dialing back the suction at the bottom drain, but why dial down the air pump? I believe the more air added to the water the better.
As far as the green water, that's normal. Give it time to balance out. The plants are a definate plus when it comes to that.
And the fish, maybe you added them too soon? Or maybe they are hiding somewhere. You didn't seem too sure. Have you actually found dead ones?
Quickest way to lower the suction to the bottom drain would be to lower the valve door or put the smaller pump back in. I found one dead floating, I first I thought it was trying to eat some of the duck weed... no, just dead. I found one alive in the skimmer. I closed the bottom drain and removed the fish from the skimmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you add a diverter so no water is coming from the bottom drain and have it suck from somewhere else with perhaps a filter on the end of it? At least until they grow larger? They do grow pretty quick.

Ask a Question