Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I'm an avid gardener and moved last November to a new house that had an abandoned 300 gallon rigid pond. I had never water gardened before (or kept fish) so I read as much as possible over the winter and figured I would try to maintain the pond for at least a season (depending on my success).

After ice skim melted I looked into the pond to find it barren with a submerged Beckett fountain and a waterfall pump & hose. Waterfall feature didn't work (pump was burnt out & waterfall housing is cracked).

The GFI outlet wasn't working so I ran an extension cord to try and use what I had (the submerged fountain). After running for some time I added some plants and snails to balance out "the green water" which helped a little but it wasn't until I added plants (marginal & submerged) then started using a better filter/fountain/uv clarifier did the pond really start "living" - a while later I added a couple bullfrog tapoles & fish in small doses.

And now we're off and really enjoying the pond: next step is getting through winter. I'm on the border of zone 6/7 and just keep on reading.

Tom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, that's your first pond?! You look like a plant pro already!!! It's beautiful. What kind of fish have you put in there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow, that's your first pond?! You look like a plant pro already!!! It's beautiful. What kind of fish have you put in there?

Thanks everyone - I have 2 shubunkin & 3 comets ; didn't want to go nuts my first season (at the fishes expense)

The filter has helped tremdously (lifegard one) and the trapdoor snails on pick up duty

My only real concern is winter at this point: hope to make it through with good planning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also I'll be working on drawing out and designing the waterfall install next spring: hopefully in a season or two I'll dig my own pond in this area (all the books are correct - bigger is better ;)

Ask a Question