First Pond Excitement!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone. Nearly a year has passed since I first announced here my intention to build a pond. Well, life got in the way and the project was delayed, but the day has finally arrived.

My first (and only) pond will be a small, humble contemporary design with a raised bog filter. It is located on the west side of the house in part sun - so many trees. I had trouble locating the high point so that I would be certain to get no lawn runoff into the pond and then leveling the blocks all around (compound slope) but finally succeeded. Despite my best efforts to thoroughly compact the soil before setting the blocks there has already been some settling and perfection is but a pipe dream.

The bog dimensions are 48" x 78" and will have 12" of 3/8" pea gravel over slotted pvc pipe. The pond is 71" x 78" and will be 30" deep where the bog flow into it. It will start at around 12" deep at the skimmer end and slope down so there will be no comfortable fishing areas for the numerous raccoons who reside in my neighborhood. Why such a huge bog/pond ratio? I love bog plants and super clean pond water lol. My goldfish will also appreciate it I am sure.

Solving problems along the way is part of the fun. It's already late in the year but I'm making progress fast. I will be needing some advice, but I have already learned so much from reading here. You folks are awesome.
pool1.jpg
pool2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking good! What is so cool about pond building is all the different ways it can be done. I am sure your goldies will be very happy in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice start! Thanks for picture sharing!
Everyone's ideas and accomplishments add to our community.
Keep those pictures coming. We love to view ponds in various construction stages.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Weather has not been cooperating. It's super hot and humid when it's not pouring down rain. At least all the rain has made the digging easier, but I'm still digging through an old gravel driveway left over from a house that burned down on this property many years ago. The pop up tent over my work site helps, along with a fan.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, after I level off the cinder blocks with sand, then comes the pad and liner. I think that the bog overflow into the pond will be smooth and gentle. Mrs. Spanky and I want splashing sound. Can I use waterfall foam to place jagged slate overhangs on the liner atop the bog spillway?

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a 36 inch flat stone at my spill way. Did put a bit of pl roofing goop to hold it in place but also added a large rock on the bog side to keep it from ever moving, falling in/ The rocks also divert the water flow a bit. This is a winter picture, a lot easier to see the rock then right now.
A lot of water sound even with just that small drop.
Sorry they are blurry just took snips off old photos.

b.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can I use waterfall foam to place jagged slate overhangs on the liner atop the bog spillway?

You can fool with that bog outlet anyway you want! You can use slate as you suggested to break up the flow or rocks to restrict the flow which creates the impression of more volume. We have a small flat stone on one of our waterfalls that we use to change the flow all the time by moving it from one spot to another or rotating it another direction - it's amazing what one small change can do!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Spanky- the waterfall foam is not an adhesive. It is used to direct the water flow where you want it. PL Roof cement will work better to glue stones in place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
spanky i hate to say this but if i see in a year from now a post from you water leak /frustrated etc. it wouldn't sit well. so i'll say it cinder blocks even though you are only two courses tall the blocks when staged " the upper row siting half on one block and half on the other are much stronger. You obviously worked hard on this and it shows as it looks very level and square. My last note of caution is it looks like your blocks still have sharp edges " factory" i would rub them down with a masons wheel and a grinder or even a brick or similar . Use mortar and a rock to make your spill way

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks GBBUDD. Yes I figured since it is just 2 courses it wasn't a big deal, but I will carefully consider that. I plan on softening the edges of the block with my grinder. Would mortar stick to the epdm liner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks GBBUDD. Yes I figured since it is just 2 courses it wasn't a big deal, but I will carefully consider that. I plan on softening the edges of the block with my grinder. Would mortar stick to the epdm liner?
stick- yes . ..... bond - no..... but using a latex additive in the mortar make it get closer to a bond to the point it will hold it in place unless you walk on it constantly. The more wrinkles to the area the more it will hold

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I received a load of pea gravel for my bog. I thought that it would be screened for more consistency. It is a mix of pebbles ranging from 1/4" to nearly sand grain size. Is this normal? My concern is that it will clog up my pipe manifold.
gravel.JPG

Ask a Question