first pond, first problem

Reaction score
Hi, first post here.

Just set up a pre formed (60 litres) pond a week ago. I was given some oxygenators from an existing pond but they have become detatched from their "soil" and are now floating.

Should I just weigh them down or re pot them?

If I repot what do I use soil wise?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hi there pondlife. If your plants have floated up, you need to anchor them down. Soil isn't very good under water and will dirty up the pond, too. As the DrD has suggested you need some small rocks/stones to do this.

I personally do not like to use pea gravel, as I find it is too small and fish like to root around in it and then they get all over the pond. So, if you could use something a bit larger than pea gravel, I think you'd be better off. I use 2" river stones you can buy at a local craft store, for example. You need just enough to anchor the roots of your plant down.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
are you talking about hornwort and the like? if you are they usually come with a small weighted band around a group of cuttings. they need no soil or gravel just a little weight on the bottom to keep them down.... i put a couple marbles in a piece of clothe and the end of the bundle. then a ziptie to hold them in

Ask a Question