First significant pond snafu, lost half the water overnight!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
All of my hose coupling is underwater, so I had thought this would not ever been an issue, but apparently the R upper fork of my Y splitter is pointing up enough that when the hoses decoupled there (which was totally my fault, I had been trying to clean the flow valve the day earlier), it causes the pump to squirt water over the rim of the pond and beyond :( . Fortunately I caught it right before it hit the safety point where the pump itself would have been out of water (it intentionally sits 1ft off the bottom), so no pump burnout, but all that lovely pond water gone to waste, for probably 100-150 gallons. Photo of it gradually refilling (the water line is normally just over the top of the pots), I will definitely be out of prime after this!

Attachments

• B68F2FEE-D1C0-48FC-9341-5C47AFDCEE89.jpeg
    B68F2FEE-D1C0-48FC-9341-5C47AFDCEE89.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It happened to me once when I had two pressure filters that needed constant cleaning. One of them needed the top removed to clean it. I forgot to tighten one hose clamp. I lost most of my 1800 gallons. Luckily, I too, had the pump off the bottom. I did lose one huge butterfly koi though. I guess the shallow water that was left didn't supply him with enough oxygen.

I filter exclusively with a bog now and all my plumbing is within the pond/bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ouch! I had a apple block a out flow once. It took 2 days to refill the pond. (Well)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
All of my hose coupling is underwater, so I had thought this would not ever been an issue, but apparently the R upper fork of my Y splitter is pointing up enough that when the hoses decoupled there (which was totally my fault, I had been trying to clean the flow valve the day earlier), it causes the pump to squirt water over the rim of the pond and beyond :( . Fortunately I caught it right before it hit the safety point where the pump itself would have been out of water (it intentionally sits 1ft off the bottom), so no pump burnout, but all that lovely pond water gone to waste, for probably 100-150 gallons. Photo of it gradually refilling (the water line is normally just over the top of the pots), I will definitely be out of prime after this!
I've had my pond since 2014. I enjoy it immensely, especially in the spring when the frogs and toads lay eggs and hatch out tadpoles. A couple of weeks ago there were literally thousands of toad tadpoles in my pond. I needed to top off the water so I put the hose in, added the correct amount of Prime to neutralize the amount of water I intended to add. Then I got busy doing something else and right before I fell asleep that night, I remembered the water. The pond was very very full and a the tadpoles we're dead. I quickly added lots more Prime. I only lost 1 small goldfish. I was worried about my expensive Japanese Trapdoor snails, but everything else survived. I felt terrible about killing the tadpoles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I've had my pond since 2014. I enjoy it immensely, especially in the spring when the frogs and toads lay eggs and hatch out tadpoles. A couple of weeks ago there were literally thousands of toad tadpoles in my pond. I needed to top off the water so I put the hose in, added the correct amount of Prime to neutralize the amount of water I intended to add. Then I got busy doing something else and right before I fell asleep that night, I remembered the water. The pond was very very full and a the tadpoles we're dead. I quickly added lots more Prime. I only lost 1 small goldfish. I was worried about my expensive Japanese Trapdoor snails, but everything else survived. I felt terrible about killing the tadpoles.
Sorry to hear about your tadpoles :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
It happened to me once when I had two pressure filters that needed constant cleaning. One of them needed the top removed to clean it. I forgot to tighten one hose clamp. I lost most of my 1800 gallons. Luckily, I too, had the pump off the bottom. I did lose one huge butterfly koi though. I guess the shallow water that was left didn't supply him with enough oxygen.

I filter exclusively with a bog now and all my plumbing is within the pond/bog.
Sorry to hear about the koi. I swapped the hoses to let the Y sit more straight than tilted to one side and weighed it down with my now repurposed pump bag filled with gravel, and tightened all the fittings, so hopefully that will ensure all the water stays in the pond from now on!

Ask a Question