First spring start up algae

Reaction score
This is my first spring start up and it looks like the string algae grew all winter .I pulled out lots of that now I have a floating green algae growing .It looks stringy also .I am using a bio filter .I had lots of plants last year but only a few of them are growing now .Should I restart water changes now and what should I do about the algae growth?.Any other start up tips you have ?

Reaction score
I know you are not supposed to do this, but every spring I totally drained my pond and hand scrubbed it with a brush, then shop vacced all the stuff out.

Reaction score
Thats all drain the pound ? I dont think it is that bad I think i will clean out the filter and vacum the bottom do a water change throw some more plants in .

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I would have to agree with 27goldfish. Regardless of size, it take time to create a natural balance in a pond. By breaking it down, and draining a pond it destroys that all the natural nutrients and beneficial bacteria that help keep a body of water healthy. Partial water changes and some clean up will help. Also having the right amount of fish, plants, and snails will bring back that balance you need for a healthy pond.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
I cleaned my filter for starts and while I had it apart I installed a ball valve and raised the water outputs 4 " .This should make it easy to clean next time .I also put a check valve in so if the pump stops the water will not run out of the filter back into the pond .I gave it a good vacuuming and put some more plants in .I cleaned the media in pond water and stored it in that while cleaning the tank .I also did a 20% water change .I will keep you posted

Ask a Question