First time fish owner questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have some fish questions. I started out with two calico fantails. I've had them almost a week and after first putting them in the pond I've seen one of them once (They have lots of places to hide including a pretty large cave). Today I added two sarasa goldfish from a different store, and they're just happily swimming about out in the open right away.

Is this a differences in goldfish type? Should I stick with the 2nd store since they somehow produce happier fish? Will the first two fish come around? Just a little confused by how big the difference in behavior is. After some googling I realize comets are more active than fantails, so maybe that's it?

Edit: The new ones are hiding now. I'll just keep waiting...

Thanks!

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some new fish just hide when in a new enviornment, give them time. You might want to consider quaraintining any new fish you get. One sick fish and your whole pond can have issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Should I stick with the 2nd store since they somehow produce happier fish?

This made me chuckle... I mean, healthy fish are happy fish, so if you find a supplier that seems to have HEALTHIER fish, then yes. I'd stick with that store. But assuming fish aren't "happy" because they are doing what comes naturally is misjudging their behavior. It's in their nature to be cautious - it's how they survive. They'll come around and learn to trust their surroundings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have some fish questions. I started out with two calico fantails. I've had them almost a week and after first putting them in the pond I've seen one of them once (They have lots of places to hide including a pretty large cave). Today I added two sarasa goldfish from a different store, and they're just happily swimming about out in the open right away.

Is this a differences in goldfish type? Should I stick with the 2nd store since they somehow produce happier fish? Will the first two fish come around? Just a little confused by how big the difference in behavior is. After some googling I realize comets are more active than fantails, so maybe that's it?

Edit: The new ones are hiding now. I'll just keep waiting...

Thanks!
A predator might have come by to scope out the new menu; keep an eye out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Update: The two sararasa comets are flitting around the pond doing goldfish things. They hide under a lily when I come close but are clearly not in mortal fear of me. The fantails are still hunkered down in the fish cave convinced direct sunlight is deadly. I caught a glimpse of one at the entrance to the fish cave being like, "maybe it's safe to come out, oh no the giant is back, hide!"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It took my fan tails a while to get used to me, now they come running when they see me. I do feed them a bit now and then.
The big pond gold fish come running even without me feeding them a lot, the 1000 gallon tank they tend to hide a bit more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This made me chuckle... I mean, healthy fish are happy fish, so if you find a supplier that seems to have HEALTHIER fish, then yes. I'd stick with that store. But assuming fish aren't "happy" because they are doing what comes naturally is misjudging their behavior. It's in their nature to be cautious - it's how they survive. They'll come around and learn to trust their surroundings.
got an eye roll here with a shoulder twitch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i can relate!!!!!!!!!! when my orange koi comes up out of the water AND CLIMBS UP onto the log that is now out of the water , you can see a look in his eye like I'm not suppose to be able to do this.............. i love it .. TAKES AFTER HIS OWNER

Ask a Question