First Time Koi Pond Set Up

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building a koi pond from scratch. Since I want the actual pond size to be 8 x 5ft I dug out the hole 9 x 6 ft to account for the blocks I'll use to make up the walls. I planned for about a 900 gallon pond when all is finished. Right now I finished digging and framing, and i cemented my 2" bottom drain in the layout. I have the drain connected to a pipe that goes underneath the frame which will be concreted leading to another pipe that comes straight up. Before I finish the cement slab I wanted a better understanding of the plumbing. Im not sure if i'm supposed to connect the bottom drain PVC directly to a filter via attachments or if there's another step first. Also before i finish my concrete slab base, I wanted to note the bottom drain opening sits about an inch above the would-be concrete floor. I know its should be flush but i miscalculated, will this a be a huge problem. I appreciate any tips and help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm building a koi pond from scratch. Since I want the actual pond size to be 8 x 5ft I dug out the hole 9 x 6 ft to account for the blocks I'll use to make up the walls. I planned for about a 900 gallon pond when all is finished. Right now I finished digging and framing, and i cemented my 2" bottom drain in the layout. I have the drain connected to a pipe that goes underneath the frame which will be concreted leading to another pipe that comes straight up. Before I finish the cement slab I wanted a better understanding of the plumbing. Im not sure if i'm supposed to connect the bottom drain PVC directly to a filter via attachments or if there's another step first. Also before i finish my concrete slab base, I wanted to note the bottom drain opening sits about an inch above the would-be concrete floor. I know its should be flush but i miscalculated, will this a be a huge problem. I appreciate any tips and help
Also, im familiar with the gravity fed method but i was told i would need a pump anyway to pull the water through the bottom drain pipe, of so would i attach the drain pvc to a pump then the pump to a filter?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

You might want to figure out what kind of pump/filter combo you want — then you can figure out how to plumb it. It sounds like you need to slow down on your build…..and do some more research. Some on here have BD’s, so maybe they will chime in and help you.

How are you “framing” it? Are you using concrete blocks around all 4 sides? What kind of liner are you planning to use?

I’m just curious, though…..your pond seems small for having a BD, and 900 gallons is too small for any more than a single koi.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1658786269751.gif
@Monteylemane
Think you might like Shubunkin goldfish as they come in a variety of colors and long tails, short tails, etc.
They don't get huge like koi and would fit nicely into your pond better than koi that need tons of room.

shubbies10.png

1658787792924.jpeg

shubbie8.jpg

Shubbies1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i cemented my 2" bottom drain in the layout
MANY AREAS have codes any body of water deeper than x "usually 18" needs to have two drains ON THE SAME LINE so if someone was to say sit on top of the drain the other drain would then beable to handle the full draw of the pump thus not holding someone underwater.
I know its should be flush but i miscalculated, will this a be a huge problem. I appreciate any tips and help
IF ANYTHING it should be in a depression or the entire bottom is sculped so that everything is pitched toward the drain for maximum efficiency. You can't dig around the cemented in drain and drop it? If it's not a rhino drain with an air bladder then cut your losses and install a new one at the right height

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, had you asked before you started, I would have said to skip the bottom drain. At your size pond you won't be keeping koi anyway so it's really an added expense and bother in my opinion. Where are you getting your advice from, out of curiosity.

But anyway - welcome to the GPF! Stick around and enjoy a world of experience and helpful advice...although mine wasn't terribly helpful just now, was it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

You might want to figure out what kind of pump/filter combo you want — then you can figure out how to plumb it. It sounds like you need to slow down on your build…..and do some more research. Some on here have BD’s, so maybe they will chime in and help you.

How are you “framing” it? Are you using concrete blocks around all 4 sides? What kind of liner are you planning to use?

I’m just curious, though…..your pond seems small for having a BD, and 900 gallons is too small for any more than a single koi.
When I said framing I meant in terms of pouring the concrete for the base. But in terms of making the walls yes I was going to use concrete blocks. I was planning on either a regular liner or fiber glass

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you make it bigger? If you triple the size you could have a few koi. Otherwise stick with goldfish as recommended above. You’ll be amazed at how large they get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with what has been said.

Too small for koi.
Believe me, you don't want koi in that small of a pond.

If you want a bottom drain, the whole bottom of the pond should be pitched down toward it. The drain should be the lowest point, not flush and certainly not higher. The way you have it now, all the junk will just pile up around it, defeating the purpose.
I also agree your size pond doesn't need it.
My pond is bigger and I just slowly run a net along the bottom maybe twice a year.

What kind of liner are you going to use?
The preferred material is 45 mil. EPDM with the proper underlayment. Second choice being HDRPE.
Do not get fooled by the lower price of a PVC liner. It will fail within months.

What type of pump do you plan on using?
There are submersible and external pumps.

What type of filter do you plan on using?
Have you thought about building a bog filter next to the pond?
It's the most natural, maintenance free and best filter you can have if built correctly. It's not hard to do and you won't regret it. You will save money by not buying inadequate store bought filters and your water will be crystal clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Glad you came here for help. There are many friendly and smart people here to learn from.

Don't get discouraged by all the comments. We are all speaking from experience and we don't want you to make the same mistakes.

We'll get you back on track.

Your probably excited to get things done, but I think you should pause and read through the many threads here to get an education and by all means, ask as many questions you can think of.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
with a rdf there's no way i would not have a bottom drain. but it will work nigh and day better if the bottom drain is recessed and the sides all go right to the drain a couple return jests from the pump or secondary pumps to move the bottom around will help tremendously
Also, im familiar with the gravity fed method but i was told i would need a pump anyway to pull the water through the bottom drain pipe, of so would i attach the drain pvc to a pump then the pump to a filter?
not so you can do a gravity feed from the pond to say a sieve filter. the sieve has tohave it's highest point be at the same level or higher than the pond. and the pipe from the drain is below water level where it enter the sieve. now being gravity fed thats where often you'll find up to a 6" line from the pond to the sieve to make up for the loss of pressure. but once you have that water drop over the sieve screen and down into it's reservoir the pump pulling from the sieve it a proven system check out the Cetus Sieve III.

tHESE ARE BOTH MECHANICAL FILTERS WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR A BIOLOGICAL FILTER?

Ask a Question