First time lily recommendations?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm at the stage where I am thinking of ordering some plants. I think I have what I want for shallow water plants mostly sorted out: Arrow Arum, Horsetail Rush, blue flag iris, and water forget-me-not.

Now I'm looking at lilies too. I think I want 4-5 for my pond as I want room to add a hardy lotus next year. Can someone give me some recommendations on easy to care for lilies that are
  • Suitable for a pond of about 11x16
  • Plant shelves at 1', 2' and bottom at 3'
  • Hardy in zone 5
  • variety of colors (pink, red, white, blue, yellow)
  • Easy for a first time water gardener
Thanks!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Stay away from the large water lilies as they may have a leaf spread of 9 to 12 feet. Most reputable aquatic nurseries will list the foliage spread on water lilies. Also lilies will do better planted at a 2 or 3 foot depth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm looking at things that are 3-5' spreads, figuring that's a good size for this pond. I also want to save room for a lotus next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Colorado is one of my favorites - the flowers go from pink to peach as they mature. Very pretty! It's a big spreader though - more in the 5 foot range.

With your size pond (almost identical in size to ours) I think you'll do well with three plants total of any variety though. More than that and you may find yourself over crowded. Also remember all those pots need dividing, if not every year then for sure every other. Less plants, less work, same effect! And if you do decide you need more plants, they'll be free to you next year!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love my Colorado, it blooms constantly popping up multiple flowers. They stand out of the water. It is a large lily, but all you need to do is groom a few leafs off now and then to keep the foot print a bit smaller I have not groomed at all, so far, this year. There are 10-15 lilies in the pond, currently.

IMG_4531.JPG

img_0032-jpg.92656

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy and Lisa. Yes, basically full sun. So far the only shade is early morning and late afternoon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in love with my James Brydon. Mine is from Lowes and first flowered less than 4 weeks after bought/planted, and keeps blooming since. I have it in full sun, I am in zone 5 and we don't get too hot here (rarely over 90). I mention it because from what I read, JB doesn't perform well in too hot climates, but I see you are in Chicago which should be the same zone/temps as here.
If I had to pick three, I would go with three different colors and the red one would be definitely James Brydon.
Also, some of the waterlilies have their flowers on the water surface (JB being one of them), others rise above water surface (Colorado for example - mine doesn't flower yet though). That's another thing to consider.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a "Sioux" that has never let me down. It's a changeable, but I'm not sure of the order that the colors change. It goes through yellow to peachy. The spread is maybe 3'-6'.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@EricV I just realized something.... Are you looking for hardy (that go dormant in the pond during winter and come back in spring) or tropical (that, depending on where you live, have to be removed from the pond and stored over winter)? That is something to consider.

What made me think to ask is that you mentioned "blue," which is pretty much only found in tropicals -- and I've never understood why the darn plants do that to us!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@EricV I just realized something.... Are you looking for hardy (that go dormant in the pond during winter and come back in spring) or tropical (that, depending on where you live, have to be removed from the pond and stored over winter)? That is something to consider.

What made me think to ask is that you mentioned "blue," which is pretty much only found in tropicals -- and I've never understood why the darn plants do that to us!!
Oh, only hardy lilies. I didn't realize that about the blue ones, but thanks! I think with three lilies per Addy's suggestion and blue flag iris, I can skip a blue lily. :)

Ask a Question