First Time Pond Owner - Fish Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first pond is nearly finished and I am in the process of figuring out what kind of fish I want to add the pond (The exciting bit!).

It's a fairly small pond, 3.35m x 1.28m. The middle section is 1m deep with shelves on either side 0.5m deep. Total capacity is around 3500 litres (770 Gallons). I have a 10000L filter.

I was wondering if there is a rough guide of how many fish I can have in the pond? Researching the web seems to result in an array of different answers. Ideally I would want at least 1 koi if possible.

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated. I have attached a picture of the pond.

Thanks
Amit

Attachments

• Pond.png
    Pond.png
    220.8 KB · Views: 130
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What kind is easy - you have a perfect pond for a few goldfish. How many is a few? I'd say start with three or four and let nature take it's course from that point forward. You are always better off to be understocked than over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
With that size pond, I would suggest you take a look at shubunkin. They are colorful, have beautiful flowing fins and don't get too big. You can also get goldfish or comets. There are a lot of really nice fancy goldfish.
And your fish will eventually reproduce, so don't get too many to start with or they will become overcrowded.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very nice pond! I will be the 1st to say it, too small for koi. They may be small when you get them but can grow fast and you don't want to have to find a home for a fish you have got attached to. Check out Addys shubunkins. Absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a pond your size.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1564357109111.gif
@amit I vote for Shubunkins also as they kinda look like koi in a way but don't get real big like koi. @addy1 has some real beauties!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would agree, shubunkins are best choice for a pond this size. They are more colourful than comets and each one will look different. Start of with no more than 6 remembering that in a new pond you may lose some until your water parameters settle.
I started with 10 fish in my new pond 4 years ago and only one of them survived, however since then I have lost only one fish and I think that was down to age as it was an old rescue fish.
Keep us updated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for your responses, has helped clear a lot of things up for me.

Seems shubunkins and some other gold fish are the way to go. I will start with small numbers and work my way up.

One query, are any fish species I can get which remain small? Nice to have a bit of a contrast.

Of course, I will post pictures when the pond is finished!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
There's one (i have 9) next to my one and only koi.....the rest are shubunkin, comet, and mosquito fish. And 3 little frogs....
20190727_180036.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I am from England and can't seem to find any places that stock Rosie Red minnows.

Any other ideas from anyone what small fish I can stock?

Thanks

Ask a Question