First time pond owner

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife and I set up a pond a few weeks ago after acquiring a used stock tank. The tank is 4 ft diameter and about 2 ft deep. I buried the tank almost half way in the ground to help prevent completely freezing in the winter. I decided to go with a bog filter so I went to the local farm supply store and bought a oval tank for the bog. It measures 2ft x 2 ft x 5 ft. I put a grid of pvc pipe in the bottom to disperse water flow. I put a layer of lava rock then filled the rest with pea gravel. I have water canna and horsetail and a pitcher plant in the bog so far. In the tank I have 2 Lillies and water hyacinth and 6 goldfish
20190726_162841.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Great!
Very creative.
Anything with flowing water and plants adds to the charm of any garden or yard. The sound of splashing water is very relaxing.
And your bog filter in conjunction with the plants will keep the water clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looks really nice :) I have read that galvanized metal tanks leech zinc into the water, which is fine for plants but not fish. One option is to line the tank with a liner.

Not sure yours is a galvanized metal tank, but thought I'd share the information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks really nice :) I have read that galvanized metal tanks leech zinc into the water, which is fine for plants but not fish. One option is to line the tank with a liner.

Not sure yours is a galvanized metal tank, but thought I'd share the information.

It is galvanized. I did not know it would do that. Thanks for the heads up. I will look into doing something about it

Ask a Question