First time ponder- feedback and suggestions welcome!

Reaction score
You can also build your own filter and use it as your waterfall, you get alot more filter for the money this way. You can pretty much use any container you like, doesn't have to be a stock tank. Look in the DIY section.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I use a leaf basket/priming pot with great success with my external pump. Mine is an Artesian 1/8 HP, and draws max 152 Watts, at 3030 gph @ 4' head pressure. Built in leaf basket, too, but it's not cheap. The basket makes sure to catch the crap from the bottom drain, and anything that gets past the skimmer (it happens).

The pool pump you spoke of will probably eat you alive in power cost, they are high head pressure pumps. You need a low head pressure pump in 1/8 or 1/10 HP, shouldn't be too hard to find, just not cheap for a good one.

Reaction score
Laura,

I'm no expert on ponding, but I live in FL, and I have a little pond right next to my house in a very restricted area, so I can address some problems we share that others might not see.

Your house appears to be new, so I don't know how much experience you have with FL gardening. For the benefit of those who have no experience in this, I will pretend you haven't done much gardening here until you tell me otherwise. :)

Your pond will lead to a massive influx of Cuban tree frogs. If you don't know them, these are usually white or gray and have enormous suction cups on their toes. They are cute when they are little. Supposedly they get to be as much as 5" long. I saw one that I am sure was over 6" long. It was not cute. They spend the night at your pond croaking loudly and producing vast quantities of stinky eggs. During the day, they hide in any crevice or hollow they can find on your house. They eat lots of bugs, and unfortunately, they also eat native frogs. Then they poop all over the side of your house -- big dark brown splashes that will stain if you don't wash them off right away. Unlike any other frogs I know, they will also jump on you (and stick on with those big suction cups) and will come in the house if they can. We finally decided that we had to catch and euthanize our plague of Cuban frogs, and life has been better.

I assume you have sand in Naples since most of Florida is sand. If so, you will need to reinforce the sides of your pond with cement blocks. I learned this the hard way. I had finished digging my pond and put in the liner when we had a nice FL rainstorm. It collapsed into a mass of mud. The only sides remaining were where I had made plant shelves with cement blocks. So I emptied the mess, redug it and put cement blocks all the way around. I just set them in place -- no mortar -- and they work fine. It's really important to make sure the edges of your pond are substantially higher than the ground around them. I didn't think of that, so every rainstorm washes silt into the pond and any heavy rain makes it overflow. When I rebuild this winter, the pond level will be six inches above the ground. If you are going to have plant shelves, make sure they are wide enough for large pots. Mine are a cement block wide, and that isn't enough. I'm going to eliminate the plant shelves when I rebuild. I'm looking at some of those black plastic stacking shelves for plant shelves. They would also provide a shaded hiding place for the fish under the plants.

Make sure you have enough space to work around your pond. If you are always crowded, maintenance isn't easy and tends to get neglected. I now have my pond completely surrounded by either pavers or a gravel path with stepping stones. I have lots of vegetation in pots.

I've been thinking about how to make a filter look good, and have some ideas, but this post is too long already.

Sharon

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Sharon, you bring up some excellent points, and invaluable experience in your area. Didn't know about the Cuban tree frogs, sound really neat - from South Carolina. I bet they suck there.

Welcome to the forum, please consider adding pics of your pond. We love to admire.

Reaction score
Thanks Sharon- that's all very helpful!

The tree frogs are a given with or without my pond, though- seeing as literally my back yard is under 2' of water this time of year, anyways (matter of fact the frogs are all yelling at the top of their lungs as I type this, I may need earplugs tonight *sigh*) We have a whole colony that lives in the bamboo wind chimes on my back porch (I counted 13 in there all at one time last year, I haven't counted this year), and there's several huge ones about 6" that live under the roof eaves in the front yard- one almost landed on my head Monday in a random leap from the gutter to the ground; scared the beejeebers out of me! :)

We built the house in 2005. Our house is built up with about 6' of fill dirt, so that's what I'll be digging into for the pond. I THINK it should hold shape, since it's fill to support the slab foundation of the house, though I'm also quite interested in those plastic plant stands you mentioned- you have a link for those? I wouldn't mind leaving out the built-in plant shelves as I'd gain more water volume for the pond. I suppose I could always use those egg crate style plastic shelves, too... hmmmm

Here's a "big picture" picture, if that's helpful
IMG_4189.jpg

I do plan on using pavers to edge the pond. I'm considering putting down a "base row" to put the edge of the liner on top of, just to raise the pond a bit higher than ground level.

Reaction score
Actually my biggest problem as far as critters go is I'm concerned that the bears will decide to turn my pond into their personal bath during the dry season and demolish the plants. They're in our yard all the time, drawn in by the neighbors' trash cans (we learned to keep ours in the garage- they're in it almost every night otherwise, and they have a "system" worked out where the bears tip over the cans then the racoons drag the trash all over the yard :)). The bears have only seriously messed with my flower beds once thus far though (apparently one decided my Ruella looked like a great place to bed down for the night), but adding water might be a different story. Time will tell... may move the dog crates into my office so they'll bark and scare off critters at night.

Reaction score
The more I consider all my options and look over DIY filter designs and try to figure out the best way maximize filtration given my space constraints, the more I lean towards just biting the bullet and getting that all-in-one Laguna skimmer + filter. http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/pfloskimfilt5000.php?link=150

It seems to be the best solution in that the all-in-one unit helps with my space issues, it's tons of mechanical filtration and would leave me the option of using either an external or internal filter behind/inside it, I can bury most of it so it won't be unsightly/difficult to hide, I can place it so that it's easy to access from the side of my porch, and the biggest bonus for me is the removable baskets would make maintenance much easier- I can just pull out a basket at a time and hose it off in my driveway (I'm on a well so no chlorine issues).

At $300 it's a big chunk of my budget, but I'd then feel more comfortable running a submersible pump (since I wouldn't be so worried about debris clogs) and go with a cheaper waterfall since the Laguna also has plenty of biofiltration built in, so I can save some $$ on those ends. I've been pondering how to DIY a comparable filter, but I think by the time I bought all the pieces I wouldn't be saving much and wouldn't end up with as nice and functional a product.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laguna makes good products, it looks like it would do a good job for you. They have them on ebay, but higher than $300, thought you might be able to catch a deal there.....lol
We have a well also, it runs neutral, you may want to see if your water is neutral, some seem to have acidic well water.
I have made plant stands using pvc, I too would be interested in the plant stands. We have old plastic milk crates that would work.

With the plant load and minimal fish load you will be fine. In my water garden humble opinion.

Didn't have a clue you would have bears to worry about! We just have raccoons, deer, frogs, fox, toads, herons, Canadian geese, neighbors big black lab..........no bear.

Keep up the good thinking, the more you plan the better it will be.

Reaction score
Florida has a limerock aquifer, so my water is liquid rock LOL kH and gH off the charts, pH runs 7.6-7.8.

We live on the edge of the Everglades so get all kinds of wildlife. We're only a few miles from the national Florida Panther reserve so many of our friends and neighbors have seen those, too, though neither my hubby or I have spotted one quite yet. Friend of ours about a mile away watched one cross their front yard a few months ago, though.

The cheapest I've found that filter so far comes to $330 shipped, here: http://www.thewatergardener.com/col...ts/laguna-powerflo-skimmer-filter-5000-pt1774, and this place has it for $340 shipped http://www.pondusa.com/filter2k.htm

Apparently Marine Depot used to carry it for $210 but it's listed as discontinued on their website- I may call them to see if they happen to have any still lying around in stock.

Reaction score
OK let me add all this up, see how my budget is looking:

45mil EPDM liner (15x20') and underlayment - $200
Laguna Skimmer Filter - $350
1500-2000gph pump - $150
Waterfall - $100
25' x 1.5-2" flex tubing, bulkheads, misc other plumbing supplies - $100
Rock & pavers for waterfall & pond surround - $100

Am I missing anything? Do those #s sound about right?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Sharon.

Lauralee,
That PH level is not high enough to worry about. Mine has always been about 7.8.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My rocks where quite higher, but I used a bunch of tons of rocks.
You forgot your plants in your budget! lol

Your figures look good, I would also have $100 for stuff forgotten, needed etc.

Reaction score
If I go with native plants, I'm actually planning on pulling a lot of plants from my aquariums, as well as collecting some from the ditches around. Got tons of Bacopa, Ludwigia, Cabomba, Marselia, invasive Hygrophilas, water hyacinth, assorted cattails, lillies/lotuses etc all within a mile of my house.

I do need to go to a local yard and price out rocks, though.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
If your open to different shapes and are trying to cut down on costs you could always do like I did for one of my ponds and get a old hot tub from craigslist that someone is giving away. Big + to them is that they already have a bottom drain, they are rigid so you don't have to worry about ground shifting, they come with built-in plant shelfs, could use the pump to start with but I would replace it in short order with something a little more energy friendly. Just thought I would get you thinking outside the box if you wanted to. And my math says that would cut out $260 off the budget right off the bat. Here is a picture of want I did.
Transformation032.jpg

Little older of a picture but you get the idea.

Ask a Question