First time ponder- feedback and suggestions welcome!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow what a neat idea!................hummmmmmmm thinking of a lily pond.

Reaction score
I hope this works. Here are some pictures of my little pond by the entrance to my house.

http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/zz146/shakaho/My pond summer 2010/?albumview=slideshow

My pond is 3'x4' and about 15" deep -- about 100 g. This winter, I will rebuild the pond fixing my mistakes. I'm going to make it a couple of feet longer by extending it into the waterfall space and will remove the plant shelves. I'll make a filter using something ornamental rather than a drum or trash can. I can't think of any way to hide a big can that fits in my tight space and looks good from the street. I'm looking at some large fiberglass urns I saw at Lowes and also at some king-size flowerpots. I'll put this on the street side of the pond. Then I will raise the sides of the pond to about 6 inches above ground level so that every rain doesn't wash silt into the pond. Those changes will almost double the volume of the pond while using only a little bit more ground space.

Then the next winter...

Sharon

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, looks great. And clear water. Nice waterfall, your koi will like the bigger pond

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shakaho said:
I don't have koi, just goldies.

We don't have koi either, just today put some 13 cents feeders in to see how they would do.

Reaction score
My pond fishies all were 13 cent fish from Petsmart. I figured my pond was big enough for 5 goldfish, so I got 10, figuring that half of them would die. I just told the girl to pick out 10 healthy-looking fish of assorted colors. I spotted one that looked really nice, but didn't pay much attention to the others. When I released them into the pond, I noticed a couple were not too lively. I lost a fish a day for 3 days, and the rest thrived. That was May, and now they are 2-4 inches and nice and fat. A neighbor is talking about setting up a little pond. If it meets my approval, I will offer her a couple of my fish.

Reaction score
lauraleellbp said:
Yeah that's a pretty little waterfall. What are you going to do instead?

My waterfall has a base of three concrete blocks -- one standing on end, one on it's side, and a half-height block on it's side. I used these to support stacked pieces of slate. I can rearrange it anytime I want. I could just recreate the waterfall at the side of the enlarged pool, but I really want a better DIY filter. Since this is in front of my house, I don't see a way of making a 55g drum look good, although I considered building a little "spring house" over it. Thus I want to build my filter in a decorative container. I can have the outlet pipe coming out of an urn or large flowerpot. By flattening the pipe, I can make a nice waterfall.

Reaction score
pondbuilder13 said:
or sorry 3-4000 gallons but it really doesnt matter as long as you dont run it constatly cause the fish do need a break

You mean go with a 3000-4000 gph pump?

I'm not worried about the fish "needing a break" as I'm sure there will be lots of dead/slow spots around and in the plants. Plus I'm not going with any heavy-bodied fish. I just don't want to overwhelm my waterfall... Does anyone know the upper flow recommendation on the Laguna powerfalls? I've looked on the user manual and googled and still haven't found that.

But I'll want to keep the pump running constantly as I'll need to keep the N-bacteria in my filter and in the waterfall well oxygenated so I don't loose my biofilter.

Ask a Question