First time winterizing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Have a new 1000 gallon pond. Live in NE Ohio. Deepest part of pond is about 4 feet. Thinking about getting a pond deicer and that's it. Will that be enough with our harsh winters we have here?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is all most use or they use pond breathers but the cost of the is more expensive it is offset by energy savings .Colleen in Canada uses pond heaters and I have a 250 watt one but last year only used it 2 times .

Reaction score
I use a pond air stone and unless things really get buried under snow and you are not around to remove the snow then this will work for you. The advantage is that tyhey don't use much electricity and add air to the water. How many fish do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I use a pond air stone and unless things really get buried under snow and you are not around to remove the snow then this will work for you. The advantage is that tyhey don't use much electricity and add air to the water. How many fish do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Have 11 koi varying sizes. Three 5" shubunkins and about 20 baby shubunkins born in the pond in July.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have 11 koi varying sizes. Three 5" shubunkins and about 20 baby shubunkins born in the pond in July.
Ooh, that's a lot of fish for 1000 gallons, and those babies (the koi as well as the Shubies) are going to grow. Have you considered re-homing some? Winter can be a stressful time for fish as it is.

No personal experience with pond ice where I live, but have heard lots of positive feedback regarding the pond breather. Basically, all you want to accomplish is to keep a hole open on the surface of the water -- this allows for gas exchange between water and outside air. So use of a heater (check energy used), pond breather, air stone.....or a combination.....? I already keep an airstone a few inches below the surface during winter -- just in case ;) (suspended with sections of pool noodle), but I'd be willing to try a pond breather if it ever came to that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use a combination of things. I have air stones suspended into water about 10 inches. Directly about some of the airstones, I have secured a pond de-icer. I've also secured a Pond Breather in the deeper area of my pond. I won't plug in the de-icer and Pond Breather, till the weather is colder.

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I agree with more than one means to keep a hole in the ice like Tula in Ohio suggested. AND...don't forget circulation. A hole alone is critical, BUT the pond water should circulate gently to move some water past the hole. Better safe than sorry. The fish will come to hole to breathe air if the water's not circulating enough to spread the oxygen out. I speak from experience from my Illinois pond. (and used to live in Ashtabula, OH. so I understand your winters). Also by using two means of keeping a hole in the ice, such as a small heater and an air bubbler, when one fails this year or some later year, the second "hole-maker" will still be functioning so your fish get the oxygen they need.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a new 1000 gallon pond. Live in NE Ohio. Deepest part of pond is about 4 feet. Thinking about getting a pond deicer and that's it. Will that be enough with our harsh winters we have here?
This past winter my pump died at the worse moment and the pond froze solid for a few days. After I got a hole open with boiling water I bought a hole heater and used that. Later that winter I started using a small air bubbler with no stone and that worked so well I stopped using the heater. Last winter was terrible for long running cold and I plan to do the same thing this year. In the past I always just left my skimmer pump run but now I see a small cheap bubbler is fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm very cautious about recommending using an air bubbler though. Moisture can build up in the air lines and freeze.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We are in the Chicago area - so similar climate. The de-icer worked until it gets buried in snow and then the whole thing was a moot point. We now keep our pond running all year and don't worry about keeping a hole open.

As a side note: Your fish load is high - you need to consider reducing your numbers. Your fish may be fine now, but that many fish will not thrive in that size pond for long. I know you didn't ask directly, but this is a factor that will definitely affect your fish and their ability to survive a long, harsh winter.

Ask a Question