First time winterizing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I agree with more than one means to keep a hole in the ice like Tula in Ohio suggested. AND...don't forget circulation. A hole alone is critical, BUT the pond water should circulate gently to move some water past the hole. Better safe than sorry. The fish will come to hole to breathe air if the water's not circulating enough to spread the oxygen out. I speak from experience from my Illinois pond. (and used to live in Ashtabula, OH. so I understand your winters). Also by using two means of keeping a hole in the ice, such as a small heater and an air bubbler, when one fails this year or some later year, the second "hole-maker" will still be functioning so your fish get the oxygen they need.
I live in Conneaut. Small world.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Ooh, that's a lot of fish for 1000 gallons, and those babies (the koi as well as the Shubies) are going to grow. Have you considered re-homing some? Winter can be a stressful time for fish as it is.

No personal experience with pond ice where I live, but have heard lots of positive feedback regarding the pond breather. Basically, all you want to accomplish is to keep a hole open on the surface of the water -- this allows for gas exchange between water and outside air. So use of a heater (check energy used), pond breather, air stone.....or a combination.....? I already keep an airstone a few inches below the surface during winter -- just in case ;) (suspended with sections of pool noodle), but I'd be willing to try a pond breather if it ever came to that.
Just found a home for the baby shubunkins. Actually, I have 8 koi, not 11 as I said. With the 3 shubunkins, 11 altogether. Is that too much for that size pond? Hate to get rid of any of the koi. Thinking about just having koi and no shubunkins. Don't want to deal with babies again next summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Just found a home for the baby shubunkins. Actually, I have 8 koi, not 11 as I said. With the 3 shubunkins, 11 altogether. Is that too much for that size pond? Hate to get rid of any of the koi. Thinking about just having koi and no shubunkins. Don't want to deal with babies again next summer.
This should help tell the ones you have Marie , I forgot there is also the American/japanese shubunkin just to complicate matters even futher for you :-

http://fullserviceaquatics.com/pond-fish/poor-mans-koi-aka-the-awesome-shubunkin/

Hope it helps :D

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think it's a good idea to check air pump hoses and replace if necessary . Also , very important to inspect your check valves to make sure they're working. This year I replaced my multiple small check valves with one large commercial sized one, which is placed right into the air pump. I also replace my air stones annually. Another important plan, is to have a spare diaphragm , if you use that type of air pump.

On a humorous note, as I sit here with 75 degree temps in Nov....I look out at my covered pond with various winter plans...and just have to wonder!

Reaction score
Have 11 koi varying sizes. Three 5" shubunkins and about 20 baby shubunkins born in the pond in July.
Yep that's a LOT of fish to deal with. I may be under stocked with four fish in a close to 3000 gallon pond but each has a name and a personality. Two of them are Koi and have tripled in size in two years. I would loose most of them before they get too big. The more fish you have the bigger the filter and the bigger the problems.

Ask a Question