First Water Test

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I only test mine if I suspect there is a problem or if I'm having to restart the pond. But mine is so over-filtered, I've never had issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only test mine if I suspect there is a problem or if I'm having to restart the pond. But mine is so over-filtered, I've never had issues.

Curious, what's your filtration...may need to add something. I don't know if I'm crazy but it seems to me that the weather really affects our pond, condition of water etc. When it was continually burning hot and the pond got tons of sun, it seemed like it just baked, the water got scummy. A few days later,it started raining, cooled off , stayed overcast for about four days and (whether related or not) the pond cleared...at least for a few days....beats me, still new enough at this the continually be confused lol

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Jeanie master I probably misspoke when I said over-filtered. It's a little of that plus my pond is fairly under stocked. Pond is roughly 3000 gals, and I only have goldfish. I have a "Skippy" filter (100 gal Rubbermaid stock tank) and a small bog. Plus, enough plants that eat up any excess nutrients. During the hottest part of summer, as the water temp was rising, I set up my shade sail because my surface plants weren't giving enough cover (because I failed to divide and fertilize my water lilies which caused them to have sparse pad production).

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How soon should I check it again
When my ammonia was .25 in the spring before the biofilter had a chance to mature, I tested the water every couple of days. I was keeping an eye on the water temp, pH and ammonia to determine if I needed to do anything to bind the ammonia. Here is a chart that shows when the ammonia becomes toxic to your fish.
Ammonia.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When my ammonia was .25 in the spring before the biofilter had a chance to mature, I tested the water every couple of days. I was keeping an eye on the water temp, pH and ammonia to determine if I needed to do anything to bind the ammonia. Here is a chart that shows when the ammonia becomes toxic to your fish.
View attachment 94285
Ty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
View attachment 94285

What do you do if among a gets high (besides all the plants, added air you've already done)?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What do you do if among a gets high (besides all the plants, added air you've already done)?

If the ammonia level is greater than 0 and is considered toxic for the PH and water temp you can:
Use an ammonia binder (Prime, Amquel, Amquel Plus, Ammo Lock, Chloram-X). Ammonia binders do not remove ammonia; they simply convert toxic ammonia to a nontoxic form. It will be effective immediately, but will only remain effective for 24 - 48 hours. Need to add again. Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia, even though it is nontoxic. The biological filter will then consume the nontoxic ammonia, converting it to nitrite and then to nitrate.
2. Stop feeding the fish (because this causes them to create more ammonia).
3. Perform a partial water change.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the ammonia level is greater than 0 and is considered toxic for the PH and water temp you can:
Use an ammonia binder (Prime, Amquel, Amquel Plus, Ammo Lock, Chloram-X). Ammonia binders do not remove ammonia; they simply convert toxic ammonia to a nontoxic form. It will be effective immediately, but will only remain effective for 24 - 48 hours. Need to add again. Ammonia test kits will still test positive for ammonia, even though it is nontoxic. The biological filter will then consume the nontoxic ammonia, converting it to nitrite and then to nitrate.

And I would add to the above:

Increase the amount of biofiltration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ty...hope this doesn't happen as water changes are rough...weak well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Im still confused, I have teasted and tested my pond, over about 3 weeks I believe and the results have not changed one bit. PH 8.2, Amonia still 0.25, nitrates and nitrites still both 0. Wouldnt or shouldnt something have changed by now?? Some cycling? Ty

Reaction score
This is the problem with testing. Now that things don't "seem" right you will add something then something else make recordings of the readings then decide to change the water then test it and buy more plants then some barley then air stones then some binders etc etc etc. Think about what is going to happen in a few months. It will freeze and you won't be able to test it or add anything to it. You won't know if it is good or bad and you will have to wait 4 months to find out that it still testing bad. Then all of your good bacteria will be dead then you have to add more bacteria and the whole process starts all over.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Im still confused, I have teasted and tested my pond, over about 3 weeks I believe and the results have not changed one bit. PH 8.2, Amonia still 0.25, nitrates and nitrites still both 0. Wouldnt or shouldnt something have changed by now?? Some cycling?
It's called patience. :) A pond cycles in the time that it takes to cycle. This spring I thought I would never see the Ammonia go down to zero. It does. Once the biofiltration has matured it should start to take care of the ammonia.

Ask a Question