First Winter for my Pond and Stream

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
i live in ?England, Shropshire, so we don't get very cold winters.
Should I keep my pump running therefore my stream running?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I live in zone 7 here in the states and I keep mine running all winter. I don't have a stream tho but I have a waterfall that keeps going. If you get a freeze your stream could build up w/ice and water might get diverted and flow out of the stream bed and drain your pond. Do you ever get ice? If not don't worry about shutting it all down. If yes I'd shut at least the stream down. You can leave the pump running for the pond to circulate but you don't have to. Clean any filters if shutting off pumps. I just like to keep mine running and the fish don't mind and I have a pre-filter on my pump so it keeps sucking up muck all winter.
You have a submersible pump right? Cuz if you have and external and if it froze it would be a goner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like jw says if you don't freeze up bad you could keep them running.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Rach looking back through your posts you seem to have done your homework well even down to the pond felt which will help insulate your pond against the cold .
However like you I live in the UK Plymoutrh to be exact and I know better than to think we have mild winters because even down in the South West weve seen temperatures as low as -15c .
Other things you can do to help should we get a really cold snap would be to lag all your pipes as well as insulate your filter .
Weve gone one furher still in that we cover the pond from late October thruough to April with polycarbonate roofing sheets , which are double glazed and would afford you even more protection as will turning your air down and waterfall off rerouting your filter to the pond away from it .
The weather forcaster's earlier on this October was talking of blizzards in November, so if they are right it bodes ill this winter so please prepare your pond for it .
You can do this by ensuring your pond is clear of detritus such as leaves etc and that you give your filter the once over prior to winter .

hope this helps

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Thought I'd chime in since I have a fairly shallow stream (only about 10" deep) that I keep running all Winter... I've never had a problem with the stream freezing up and diverting, and I rarely put heaters in my pond except when it is bitter cold out (like below 0F). What I have noticed is a top layer will form ice over the stream, and it sort of caps off the water. The water will continue to flow underneath the ice, and the warmth of the water seems to prevent the ice from getting thicker. Something about flowing water preventing the build-up.

Keep in mind that with my weather, I rarely see the stream iced up more than 2-3 weeks at a time, then it melts again.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Here is one of the videos I took from the coldest night last winter. Was down way below minus 40 overnight that night,

That was even with the big floating heater! But is was so cold and sustained cold for long periods last winter...

Ask a Question