First Winter Over, Fish All Survived!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 7a
Country
United States
Hi guys! My fish survived the whole winter, I'm ecstatic! The snow has melted completely and temps have hit 60s-70s this week and will be in the 60s steadily in the daytime and 40s at night.

I came home from work and went to peek at my polar bear thermometer and the water is currently around 50 degrees. I haven't see these guys since December.

I was greeted by my fishies!
image.jpeg

They were nibbling on the algae when I came over. I didn't start feeding them yet but wanted to know when is it a good time to start cleaning the pond and feeding the little guys routinely again. The algae seems to have kept the pond clean through the months.

image.jpeg

Btw - Thank you for everyone's advice. They all made it fine! :)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I didn't start feeding them yet but wanted to know when is it a good time to start cleaning the pond and feeding the little guys routinely again.

Isn't it nice to see them again?!?! I start to clean my pond and get the pump running when the water temp is 45 degrees. I also start to feed the fish (cold weather food) when the water temp is close to 50.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Congratulations! It's always so wonderful to see our dinner friends again :) I'll scoop any debris, with a pool net, but no feeding for quite a while. I let them slowly wake up, nibbling on algae and pond stuff.

I would really like my koi, to eat their eggs when they spawn, so would like them hungry, but will begin feeding before then, as I think they'll need food. Once I see chasing begin, I'm going to not feed them, in hope of them eating their eggs!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Congratulations! It's always so wonderful to see our dinner friends again :) I'll scoop any debris, with a pool net, but no feeding for quite a while. I let them slowly wake up, nibbling on algae and pond stuff.

I would really like my koi, to eat their eggs when they spawn, so would like them hungry, but will begin feeding before then, as I think they'll need food. Once I see chasing begin, I'm going to not feed them, in hope of them eating their eggs!

Oh dear, that darned auto correct! I meant finned friends, NOT dinner friends :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Glad to hear it! How big are your fish? They look huge! And they have never been overwintered?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lol i saw the dinner friends! Figured you ate dinner by the pond.

Ask a Question