First winter with my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Massachusetts. Days are still warm but nights have been unseasonably cool. The water temperature of my pond is about 54 (at the surface). Should I stop feeding?

Is there anything I can put in my pond that help the fish survive the winter (I know about the aerator and heater).

I read that at about 50 I should turn off the pump, drain the pipes etc. Is this correct?

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot say you can feed the wheat germ food down into lower temps, feed until they stop eating. I usually stop around the 50 or lower temps. They have plenty of food in the pond to live off.

I use the pond breather to keep some gas exchange going on. Cheap electric use, works well.

I pull my pumps etc before we start freezing up, or we leave town. My pump is external. My filter system, the huge bog, chills the water a lot once we start cooling off. It has a huge surface area.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I read that at about 50 I should turn off the pump, drain the pipes etc. Is this correct?
I usually wait until the temps are down in the 40's before I turn off my pump and put my pond breather in. Usually the middle of November.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can build a hoop house over your pond and use plastic to go over it to make it like a greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond breather looks great! I read several reviews and didn't see any comments about pond death. Do you put in any of those Cold Water bacteria products? I figured they were all just gimmicks.

What about your plants? I have a lot of Water Hyacinths and Lettuce. If left in the pond, will they grow back or are plants a thing you buy each year?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't add any cold water bacteria. The water hyacinths and lettuce are tossed. Some people try to overwinter them in the basement with a grow light, but I haven't tried it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't turn off my pumps till Nov., or possibly in Dec., depending on the weather. I usually will turn the water fall off, before the filter pumps, as it's drop is high and it cools the water.

I feed into Nov., or whenever they lose interest in eating. I'll cut back my lilies and water celery next week, as I have to get into the pond to do it and don't want to freeze! LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond breather looks great! I read several reviews and didn't see any comments about pond death. Do you put in any of those Cold Water bacteria products? I figured they were all just gimmicks.

What about your plants? I have a lot of Water Hyacinths and Lettuce. If left in the pond, will they grow back or are plants a thing you buy each year?
I use just the breathers, don't add any cold water bacteria. Any plants that can survive our winters gets to live here.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've slowed feeding, you can tell by the way the fish act, they're not jumping out of the water for food anymore.

Ask a Question