First Year Experience

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
With the first year behind us, I thought I would provide a couple observations that may help other fist time ponders. We started up the pond in April of 2019 adding plants to the bog, and 2 water lilies and 3 pickerel rush, a handfull of mermaid plants, hornwort, and red ludwigia to the pond and 12 trap door snails. The total pond has about 1200 gallons of water and a 3,200 GPH recirculation pump feeding a waterfall bio-falls box, the bog and a small upper pond that we originally thought would be another bog
Before we added the first fish, we cycled the pond with ammonia. While waiting for the pond to stabilize, we were visited by a heron that spent a few days standing on the side looking into the pond. That led to purchasing a net to cover the pond.

We visited a local pond store with the plan to get 3 small shubunkins. They had a deal for 5 and we could not resist the urge so we came home with them. There were three that were about 2 1/2" and two that were 3". At that time the pond water was nice and clear. WIthin a few days the algae showed up and then gradually turned a soupy green. The green water lasted all year clearing up sometimes and getting really soupy as the bog plants really never took off so the algae was doing all the work in keeping the water healthy for the fish. We had string algae, algae on everything wet, and microscopic algae in the water.

We added a dwarf bamboo and two spider lilies in floating rings mid summer.

The fish grew throughout the year and were about 7 inches by the end of the summer. While some visitors were checking out our pond, we saw a small new fish so we were sure that they had spawned sometime during the year. The water was still green so we only had that brief moment of seeing the new one.

We added a pond aeration kit from Matala Hakko MEA Pro EZ-air pond aeration system to make sure we had adequate aeration.

Now that fall has arrived, the water has cleared up and we discovered about 14-20 new fish. Since the new fish were of varying sizes, we assume there were at least three different spawns and the new fish were hidden by the green water. Once we saw the little guys we started feeding them gold fish flake food that they really liked. All of them have grown a lot and the largest of them is the same size as the ones we orignially purchased. It seems the plant growth over the year allowed more babies to survive with each subsequent spawn. We have three presumably from the first spawn, five from the second spawn and a slew of guppy sized babies from the last spawn.

So fall is here and we are enjoying the clear water. Our upper pond is now a plant paradise that is full of hornwort and red Ludwigia. The top of the waterfall is solid red ludwigia and the bog plants have mostly died bag. We pruned the pickerel rush and water lilies. We left the green stem and lily pads. That was a mistake, we should have cut everything back because now it is a bit to cold to wade in the pond and trim those we left. We moved our floating plants into 5 gallon buckets of pond water and put them in my heated shop with plant light 8 hour a day. They seem to be doing great so far.

The pickerel rush is potted in three 2 1/2 gallon plastic buckets. The roots have spread out about a foot and the hornwort has grown into the roots making an underwater jungle where the new fish probably hid throughout the year.

The mermaid plants did not survive. Our water is very hard so I think they may not do well in hard water. We also had poor luck with the bog plants and perhaps the hard water is a contributor to their struggles. We will have to replant the bog in the spring with some hardwater plants. We did get some sedge to survive but not thrive and some water celery did great until the first frost.

Our water chemistry has stayed perfect all year. Still testing once a month.

Now we are ready for winter and the water temperature has gotten down to 40F. At that temp, the fish hide in the pickerel rush and hornwort. At 45 and above the fish are out moving around slowly and still begging for food anytime we approach the pond. We switched to winter food in October. We added a K&H Thermo-Pond 3.0 de-icer. So far, no ice has formed in the pond but January and February are our coldest months.

I have attached a diagram of the pond and some photos.

Attachments

• pond diagram.jpg
    pond diagram.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_6304.jpeg
    IMG_6304.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_6731.jpeg
    IMG_6731.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6746.jpeg
    IMG_6746.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7383.jpeg
    IMG_7383.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7856.jpeg
    IMG_7856.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_6323.jpeg
    IMG_6323.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 131
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for sharing. Your pond is beautiful!

I'm surprised you were dealing with green water. Most ponders that have a bog don't have that problem. But you did say your bog plants didn't do so well. That may very well be the cause. As you stated, the plants didn't do well, so the algae flourished. I agree.

Maybe next year you can get a handle on what bog plants work well for you.

Maybe the experts here can suggest some good candidates for next year's crop.
Post your water parameters and what zone you are in. It might help with their suggestions.

Now we have to wait for Spring!
I'm in zone 6b, northeastern PA. My pond is not fully frozen yet, but we've had a couple of ice storms with snow on top of the ice. Not so nice...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water crest will grow very fast thus chewing up the available nutrients that the green water needs to survive. Hopefully your plants can get it under control this year if not try the water crest or a sage that grows fast and furious.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice pond and fish are pretty! I love the Shubunkins and I have about 4 of them. Wish I had all Shubbies but I started out w/12 feeder goldfish and they have multiplied. Perhaps you bog just needs to mature and by next year things will clear up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I remember my first year or 2 how excited I was to see baby fish ,now I not so happy .You did a great job for your first year of ponding ,where you live makes it harder ,heat and visitors are no fun

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get lots of spawning going on, but quit feeding the fish. They don't get food for most of the summer, any eggs laid are snacked on quickly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Thanks all for comments. Decided to provide a brief update. I planted 6 Narcisus Bulbs in the bog earlier this fall and two have flowered the rest have not flowered yet. My bloody dock that never seemed to get going last summer lost all its leaves earlier this fall but I noticed today that it has all brand new leaves so maybe it will be a winner for next year. The water remains very clear and the fish are still active. I have been feeding the big guys the winter food and the little ones regular small gold fish food. Everyone is doing fine except one of the larger new ones kept swimming into the skimmer. With the flow rate into the box, it was not able to swim back out so I had to rescue it almost every morning. Now it is exhausted and sitting on the bottom. I expect it will not make it through the winter weather we will most likely get in January and February. It did surface once to eat one of the small pellets. I looked for it today and could not find it. Checked the skimmer and it was not in there so it is either hiding or it has passed on and is somewhere in the pond. :-(
The water quality remains great and suspect the mass of hornwort and red Ludwigia, along with a couple of spots of string algae is working some magic. The sides of the pond and everything in it have a nice coating of algae that the fish nibble on continuously.
I have not seen any of the 12 trap door snails. With the water nice and clear I was hoping to see them. I found two over the summer grazing in the skimmer. They were much larger then when i put them in so they shoud be easy to see on the bottom but so far no luck. I hope they are in the mass of hornwort and pickerl rush roots.
Finally, I got a nice microscope for Christmas and have been checking out the water with it. It has been fun looking at the "wild microscopic critters" in the pond. Not as many as I was expecting and of course no microscopic algae. It was there aplenty all summer and now when I could look at it there is none to be found. Guess that is a good thing. I am sure this spring it will return and give me something to look at.

Happy New Year All Ye Ponders

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not seen any of the 12 trap door snails. With the water nice and clear I was hoping to see them. I found two over the summer grazing in the skimmer. They were much larger then when i put them in so they shoud be easy to see on the bottom but so far no luck. I hope they are in the mass of hornwort and pickerl rush roots.
They end up with a nice amount of algae growing on their shells. I have hundreds and they are hard to spot. They look like algae. Some of mine are almost gulf ball size. And they hang out in the hornwort and any other plant that is around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@sissy - those koi of yours never miss a meal, do they!

We see our snails only rarely - usually when I'm scooping leaves I'll pull a couple from the bottom. I always check carefully to make sure they don't get dumped in my compost pile!

I think plants often struggle in a new pond. The increased fish population will help, as will the more mature pond water.

Ask a Question