Fish 911 please help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am losing all my fish.I have a 350 gallon temp pond set up to house my fish.While I build my 5000 gallon pond.But about Tuesday I noticed my fish had a white fuzzy covering and were swimming crazy and flashing.So I did a water check and and the results were.Amonia 0-.15 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 but PH 9. So I did a 75% water change and added melafix and benifical bacteria. Also 2 cups of salt and keep treating with melafix everyday as directed. But I am not seeing any improvement at all I lost two more fish last night.There seems to be no slime coat one the ones that died.Here are some pics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to get a pic of how the tails are even gone.Bottom pic.I have had goldfish in this pond for three years and never had a problem.I have 8 goldfish and 8 koi in this pond. I have two 30 gallon bog filters going and a air stone.Water temp is 60 this morning.The fish are not swimming much just laying on the bottom.I know it is small for the koi but I took them in as rescue's and the pond is just a temp home.I never had a problem like this before.Please help me save them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in a small town so there really is no where to get anything but pimafix and melafix or salt.What do I do I really dont want to lose any fish. But really dont want to lose my butterfly koi 3 of them from 10-12 inches

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
city water or well water .Do you have a filter and could someone have sprayed something near where you have them and it got in the tank .Do you have air in the temp. pond .I have only seen that when they sprayed weed killer along the highway and it blew in peoples pond and at the landscapers pond .It was windy that day .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
"Because of the difficulty in differentiating columnaris and fungal infections without microscopical investigation, the medication should be both bactericidal and fungicidal, to cover both eventualities. Melafix, formalin and malachite, praziquantel, and salt won't work. So look for medications with antibiotics in them. Nitofurazone, Furazolidone, Tetracycline and Oxolinic Acid have been shown to be effective. Bath immersion using a proprietary treatment containing Phenoxyethanol is normally effective. In advanced cases, especially where the disease invades internal tissues, it may be necessary to treat with Antibiotics.'
Blue Ridge Fish Hatchery

Reaction score
Country
United States
city water or well water .Do you have a filter and could someone have sprayed something near where you have them and it got in the tank .Do you have air in the temp. pond .I have only seen that when they sprayed weed killer along the highway and it blew in peoples pond and at the landscapers pond .It was windy that day .
Well water,just checked the ph and its 7.8 amonia is still the same.Checking the nitrite and nitrate now.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
350 gal and 8 fish with 3 being large koi- can you set up a larger pool of some sort? Also you say the koi are rescues. When did you add them to the pond?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@longhair Oh my! This definitely sounds like a water quality issue! I can't help with the "medical" aspect [ID and treatment] but please be sure that you are filtering your water! What kind of filtration and aeration do you have going for your temp. set up? How long have the fish been in this tank, and how many/what size are your fish? I don't know if you have a LOT of fish and/or very large ones in the 350, but if you do, you might want to consider separating them out into different tanks/containers [large Rubbermaid totes are good for this], but ONLY if you have adequate filtration to do this -- just a suggestion to combat possible overcrowding [which is a contributing factor to water quality issues]. Adding beneficial bacteria won't really help, but keeping the water as pristine as possible will help [frequent water changes, daily].

And another thing, IMHO, find a treatment regimen [listen to @Meyer Jordan for advice] and stick to it -- it will take time to see results and you might still lose some fish, but you want a consistent treatment rather than trying something different every day. And follow dosing instructions, paying attention to what treatments are compatible with each other.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@longhair Oh my! This definitely sounds like a water quality issue! I can't help with the "medical" aspect [ID and treatment] but please be sure that you are filtering your water! What kind of filtration and aeration do you have going for your temp. set up? How long have the fish been in this tank, and how many/what size are your fish? I don't know if you have a LOT of fish and/or very large ones in the 350, but if you do, you might want to consider separating them out into different tanks/containers [large Rubbermaid totes are good for this], but ONLY if you have adequate filtration to do this -- just a suggestion to combat possible overcrowding [which is a contributing factor to water quality issues]. Adding beneficial bacteria won't really help, but keeping the water as pristine as possible will help [frequent water changes, daily].

And another thing, IMHO, find a treatment regimen [listen to @Meyer Jordan for advice] and stick to it -- it will take time to see results and you might still lose some fish, but you want a consistent treatment rather than trying something different every day. And follow dosing instructions, paying attention to what treatments are compatible with each other.
I just got done moving all the goldfish to another tank so nothing in the 350 gallon pond but the koi.With the added bog filters it is right at 425 gallon.I have been doing 75% water changes about every 4 days.I also have a air stone and two water falls going.8 koi 5 about 4 inches two about 10 and one about 12.The koi dont seem to have the same film the goldfish do.I am going to go get some Tetracycline and treat the fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you have biofiltration, stop changing the water, this will not help remove any bacterial infection and will only stress the fish weakening them further.
Since Melafix and salt had no effect, then this is obviously bacterial. Tetracycline is your best bet for curing some, if not, all of your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cold water from well will not help either I always pull water and keep in in an extra tank so it is the same temperature as the tank I am putting it in .

Ask a Question