Fish and skimmers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
So, my fish have been getting more active as the temperatures warm up, and a few have gotten themselves into a bind with my skimmer. They get sucked in, or go in out of curiosity, and cannot exit. Anyone have advice for keeping them out? I've considered making a little net to go around the entrance. Not sure how nice it will look, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
So, my fish have been getting more active as the temperatures warm up, and a few have gotten themselves into a bind with my skimmer. They get sucked in, or go in out of curiosity, and cannot exit. Anyone have advice for keeping them out? I've considered making a little net to go around the entrance. Not sure how nice it will look, though.
I am just planning my pond now. I was wondering about this very thing! I'm sure someone on here will know!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fish and frogs get into my skimmer basket, I just check every couple of days and get any out. It does not happen very often, what seems to happen is one gets in there and the others hang around the entrance of the skimmer causing more to get in there. The purpose of a skimmer is to catch floating debris, if you put up a net in the front then it defeats this purpose. Something you could do depending on type of skimmer you have is to place a rock on the floating door which rises and falls with the water level, this will allow them to swim back out or for frogs to get back out and still allow the skimmer to do its job.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never had a fish in the skimmer, but frogs love to get in and need to be taken back out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I put 2 rods across the opening but against the rocks so it will not interfere with the skimmer flap. I spaced them so debris will go though them. I will try to take a picture but I think ice is there. I only had larger fish go in and this worked great. Frogs still get it but I check the skimmer daily and just remove them.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My skimmer is a hayward wide wier external pool skimmer. Been using it for 3 summers now, never a fish in the skimmer, but for sure frogs get in. The floating door works well, maybe that is why the fish have not made it in. The door stays right at water level so the fish do not see a entry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My pond is only going to be about 6 x 8. It will be under trees, though. Do you think I need a skimmer for such a small pond? Or will a net over the pond in the fall be enough?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like my skimmer, esp during the flower drop from the maple and apple trees, then those seed spinners, also leaves. My pond would be tough to net for leaves so I just use a skimmer to keep the surface clear. It works well for me.
Something is always blowing into the pond, the skimmer does a nice job of cleaning the surface even when leaves are not dropping

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here are the 2 rods I put in they only work for the larger fish that push the skimmer open. They are spaced so debris does not get hung up. I used telescoping clothes line poles and cut them down to size

Sorry the image is upside down.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The Helix skimmer is supposed to be more fish friendly from what I have seen and read. I have not used it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've had frogs get in the skimmer, they seem to love it. I did have some smaller fish get into it ( I no longer have small fish) but I netted them out and they were fine.

One of the things I like best about my skimmer is keeping my pumps inside them. They are out of view and behind matela material, so stay more gunk free. I also like it when it collects lots of small debris in the leaf basket.

That being said, I don't think a skimmer is necessary for all ponds.

Ask a Question