Fish are Gulping

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't understand why? I have 2 bubblers and a waterfall going 24/7. Could it be something else?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Some of the plants are dying off but they were fine all summer long. I might have too many fish.About 25 in a 700Gal.pond.I could add another bubbler and turn on the other waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Most are about 2" I am trying to give some away but no one wants them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could something like chemicals get blown into the pond .I know weed killers and bug killers can get blown around in the wind .Plants give off oxygen during the day but use lots of it up at night .You say bubbler is that from an aerator and how big are the fish and how warm is the water .If they are gulping for air in the morning then it could be the plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
25 fish in 700 gallons would call for extra aeration. I would turn on your other waterfall. Have you tested your water, is the ammonia high...high ammonia burns gills. Test your PH also, as a high PH makes ammonia more toxic. After you test the water, I'd do a partial water change and add de chlorinator....not a huge water change.....I'd do small water changes more frequently and observe the fish and see if they improve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could also be nitrite poisoning. That causes brown blood disease and makes the blood unable to take up oxygen so the fish suffocate no matter how much air you add to the system.
You need to test the water with liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and KH. That will give you an idea of how safe your water is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Got it.I will test the water before and after I remove some water .Thinks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pictures pictures and more pictures you can have twelve bubbles if they are an open ended air tube with large bubbles that would not put enough o2 in the water and if the water fall is a trickle falling a couple inches that two would be lacking . Need a little more info or a pic or two

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Things have changed.I vacuumed the bottom of the pond added more water and added Prime.Yofsy I noticed that they are actually blowing bubbles??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tested the water and all is good except for the PH.Its a little high around 8.

Ask a Question