Fish are hiding

Reaction score
Our pond was built last July. It is about 10X20 and about 2 to 3 ft deep. The sides are lined with big rocks. With a 2 ft water fall emptying into the pond. We have 7 Koe and about 20 gold fish but we seldem see them. They hide in the crevices of the rocks. What can we do to bring them out so we can see them? Does the water fall bother them?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your fish will love the waterfall. You might find them there. If you don't spend a lot of time around the pond, don't expect the fish to swim out to greet you. For all they know, you are there to harm them. If you have children, they often are too agressive and scare the fish. Slow movement, gentle hand feeding, and time will get them out.

Another element is what is terrorizing them when you are not around? Egrets and GBH by day, raccoons by night. That will cause them to hide. I once thought I had lost all my fish from an attack that devastated everything in the pond. Months later, when I started to drain it, I was surprised to see most of them still there.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
both the doctors are absoluely right... when you can, if your not already, feed small amounts and stand where they can see you, but far enough away that they are comfortable. each time you feed move alittle closer. their hunger will superseed their fear. stay there while they eat. when you can stand at ponds edge, keep the food in your hand and set it in the water,keeping your hand in the water slightly,keep it still. they will associate you with food,and soon be eating out of your hand.

Reaction score
I am only developing my pond and when i was doing my prep on how i wanted it to look, there was one thing that irritated me a lot and it was this.. in many of the ponds i looked at i could not see the fish and when i asked was there any fish in it the answer was .. "oh there in there somewhere".....well i have the answer to that.. i built the pond up off the ground and put a glass panel in the side. Im putting lights in it also so my fish are going to be on the catwalk 24/7
fish said:
Our pond was built last July. It is about 10X20 and about 2 to 3 ft deep. The sides are lined with big rocks. With a 2 ft water fall emptying into the pond. We have 7 Koe and about 20 gold fish but we seldem see them. They hide in the crevices of the rocks. What can we do to bring them out so we can see them? Does the water fall bother them?

Reaction score
tried to send photos to another person yesterday but for some reason they could not read them because it seems they are in the a "INK FILE" what ever that is... if you know what this means perhaps you would let me know if there is a way to change the file type or something like that.
27goldfish said:
do you have pics? That has to look pretty cool!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
His files came accross with an extension "*.ink" rather than "*.jpg" or something that most computers can recognize.

Reaction score
So is there anything i can do or they can do to change that.... as you can see i am not up to speed on this computer jargon.. even though i operate my own community crime watch website, i dont really understand the intricasies of it all.
DrDave said:
His files came accross with an extension "*.ink" rather than "*.jpg" or something that most computers can recognize.

Reaction score
oK ... the pond is full ... the over flow system operates... the glass panel is holding firm and watertight... Tomorrow i get the filter/pump system operating. I understand i need to leave it for a while to let the eco system establish itself.... this might be the wrong thing to do but i was thinking if i got some waste from another pond filter system .. woulld that kick start my own pond ?

Reaction score
oh yeah .. i was told that but i thought as this is a virgin pond and the pond i got it from was clean with healthy fish i thought it would be ok. .. but i will take your advise on it.. .as i said before i am only cutting my teeth on this stuff.

Ask a Question