Fish aren't fighting over food or coming to the top.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Could I be over feeding the fish if they are not hurrying up fast for food?
Some days they come up quickly, but majority of the time they do not rush up or fight over food.

I feed them once a day and in the same spot, is that too much?
I have a lot of water lettuce in the pond, could they be snacking on that and not that hungry for what I'm feeding them???

IMG2012081600200-vi.jpg

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
I had read about a koi owner who used a rock to tap the side of the pond everytime she would feed them. It was like a dinner bell and also helped to wake up the lazy one who didn't come when the others. I have been tapping on my pond but now when I start moving my water lettuce out of the way from where I usually feed them they start coming. Sometimes there is one who takes their time because I guess they are in la la land.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My fish won't eat if they don't like the weather, or if I don't feed them at the right time of day. Sometimes the food floats for awhile before they decide they want it. They can be picky.

Reaction score
Once fish know about where the food is it is very unusual imo for them not to come for food. People with automatic feeders can feed fish 8 to 12 times a day. Fish food compared to water lettuce would be like cheese burgers to us compared to, well, water lettuce. I wouldn't miss a meal.

I don't know the number of fish, but the more there are the more pushing there is to be at the front of the line.

Cause could be many things, but at the first sign of fish acting strangely I would test the water and make sure that's right. Not because it's the mostly likely cause, but because it's one of the few things that can be measured and controlled. Things that can put fish off food include pH swings, high ammonia and/or nitrite, long term low levels of ammonia and nitrite, high water temp which can also lead to low O2. Combinations can come into play. For example nitrite interferes with the ability to use O2, add high water temp lowering O2 and problems start to happen.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the water, just something that's easy to check.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you been getting a lot of rain or has anything changed and very true test water .My fish are pigs and only get fed 2 or 3 times a week in between they clean there pond and as soon as they hear my voice or see me they come swimming over .

Reaction score
Rain will often excite fish more than scare them. Rain changes the water chemistry and signals possible spawning conditions approaching. Whether or not the fish are ready to spawn or not they seem to like the signal.

However, rain is an acid (2.0 - 5.5 pH). So a large amount and no pH buffer can cause pH swings which long term can stress fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
keep your cheeseburger I am a vegetarian
Once fish know about where the food is it is very unusual imo for them not to come for food. People with automatic feeders can feed fish 8 to 12 times a day. Fish food compared to water lettuce would be like cheese burgers to us compared to, well, water lettuce. I wouldn't miss a meal.

I don't know the number of fish, but the more there are the more pushing there is to be at the front of the line.

Cause could be many things, but at the first sign of fish acting strangely I would test the water and make sure that's right. Not because it's the mostly likely cause, but because it's one of the few things that can be measured and controlled. Things that can put fish off food include pH swings, high ammonia and/or nitrite, long term low levels of ammonia and nitrite, high water temp which can also lead to low O2. Combinations can come into play. For example nitrite interferes with the ability to use O2, add high water temp lowering O2 and problems start to happen.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the water, just something that's easy to check.

Reaction score
While I might not cut in line ahead of my Grandma for a Boca or Morningstar burger, with all the fixin's, I'd still be near the front.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had them and only saw them in the stores and since I have not eaten meat in over 52 years don't think i am missing much .It all looks yucky to me .

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
On the subject, once the weather in Chicago gets below 55 I should remove the water letus and any Plants correct?
I should STOP feeding the fish at that point right?

Reaction score
Fish can be fed any food at any temp...it's purely the keeper's choice. Whether one food or another is good or bad at some temp has to be determined by each keeper given research and learning for each person.

For example I think feeding Koi and Goldfish below 50-55F doesn't really help, the fish aren't going to use it very well. I balance that against the risks and cost and my choice is to stop feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another possibility is the fish may be scared of you or of predators. If that is the case they would be reluctant to come to the top. I would try to feed them several times a day and less food at each feeding and try to get them used to you. You may want to step back after putting food in the pond and see if they are more brave. Also you can try sitting still while watching them and see if they are more aggressive. I know when I first had my pond my fish would run and hide when anyone but me was close. Now they are little beggars for food when anyone comes near!

Ask a Question