Fish Babies. What are they????

Reaction score
While feeding the Koi one morning, I saw roughly about 30+ of these little baby fish come up to the top. I netted out a few and put them in a small 5 gallon aquarium, to hope save them from being eaten by the bigger fish.

Curious though, they don't look like Koi.

Sorry for the bad pic, it was the best I could get.

Could anyone tell me what type of fish these are? Do Koi look like this when they are young?

They look like minos to me. However one is Yellow. & one of my larger Koi is Yellow as well.

Attachments

• 20150615_152516_resized.jpg
    20150615_152516_resized.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 372
Reaction score
I have a few Blue Gill & Catfish in my pond as well. Catfish I think we can say we can safely rule out. My Bluegill have had babies before but they don't look anything like the others.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had both minnow and goldfish fry (though no koi). Of the 2, I would say they aren't minnows -- so guessing koi 'cause they do look similar to GF fry. Can you tell if they have "whiskers"?

Reaction score
A friend told me a bird might have landed in my pond with fish eggs on their feet???? Is that possible?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A friend told me a bird might have landed in my pond with fish eggs on their feet???? Is that possible?
Guess it could happen, but that's a lot of fish for a bird-drop.

But let's wait and see what some other folks have to say. My experience is limited.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koi don't usually show there whiskers until older and bigger .I always wait to give mine away so I can hopefully tell the difference

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I'll have to defer to someone else on this. I only had 2 fry survive from last year's spawning, and mostly saw them only from the top-view. But as Tula said, mine were not solid unless they were black/brown. Also, I highly suspect mine were "koi-bunkin" hybrids. If only mine would spawn already this year, I'd have something to compare for you, @KevinN . My ladies are all swollen with eggs, and I'm just waiting impatiently... of course, terrified that my girls could be injured, but it's always exciting to see babies (and then find homes for those who pass the tests of pond life). Keep us posted as they grow, will ya?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at their mouths are they either poinring downwards which makes them koi , if the mouth is straight ahead then you have a goldfish

Dave

Ask a Question