fish can't close mouth

Reaction score
hello everyone,

i have a 70 litre long tank with a school of pacific blue eyes ( an Australian rainbow fish native to my area). I've had them for about 6 months. As i was looking at them today one opened its mouth as if he was yawning (they often do this) but his mouth never closed. i was wondering if this is a common issue and whether he had dislocated his jaw or if its a nerve issue.1/2 an hour later his mouth closed, which has dumbstruck me even more, what could have happened?

Thanks in advance,
Prawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Prawns arent our fortie but @Nephen does have a little nowledge about crayfish that may or may not help ?

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Prawns arent our fortie but @Nephen does have a little nowledge about crayfish that may or may not help ?

Dave
Dave, I think his user name is prawn ;)

My fish had that problem once, it resolved by itself in a day or two. But I think @Mmathis also had a problem with this and hers, i think, the fish got a little pebble stuck in the mouth and she had to help it. I hope my memory's right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, I think his user name is prawn ;)

My fish had that problem once, it resolved by itself in a day or two. But I think @Mmathis also had a problem with this and hers, i think, the fish got a little pebble stuck in the mouth and she had to help it. I hope my memory's right.
Oh if thats the case I've had that problem too Nepen it took us Anethatizing the koi in question then with a pair of angled tweezers we removed a rather large pebble that the fish had swallowed then was unable to spit back out again .
After the pebble was removed we brought the koi back around again and that koi is with us to this very day .

Dave

Dave

Ask a Question