Fish changing colors

Reaction score
I have a specific goldfish in my pond that seems to be changing colors.
He is my favorite fish, a 2" long feeder fish that has a flowing tail. When I got him - about a month ago, he was mostly gold with some black patches on his back and the tips of his fins. Now he is more black than gold and he is getting harder and herder to see so I can't find him to take a picture. I have a feeling that at the rate he is going, he will be solid black with in a week.
Is this normal?

Reaction score
It is quite normal, although usually it is black to orange or orange to white. I had a sarasa comet this spring that had a large red spot over its head and back. Today it is totally white.

Scientists have identified two types of color changes in fish: physiological and morphological. Physiological color changes are due to the spreading out or aggregation of chromatosomes (cells which produce pigment). When the chromatosomes are spread throughout the cell, the color is more pronounced to the naked eye. However, when the chromatosomes aggregate in the center of the cell, the color is muted or not visible. Morphological color changes, on the other hand, are due to a change in the number of chromatophores. So a fish that loses a number of melanophores will appear lighter, and a fish that gains melanophores will appear darker. Physiological color changes can become morphological color changes over time.

Sorry about all the technical mumbo-jumbo, but you ask.

Reaction score
Ok, so it's 'normal'. But why does it happen? Can anything be done to prevent it or to make it happen? Does it affect the fishes health? My rather plain orange goldfish with a slight white belly took about two weeks to turn totally white recently.

Sorry about all the questions but I've asked at various pet stores over the years and nobody ever knew any of the answers. I even asked at a large local store that specializes in fish and they either didn't have a clue of couldn't be bothered to explain it to me.

Reaction score
It's normal.

Purchased an all platinum koi, after a month is got an orange patch between its' eyes. I believe orange turns to red in mature koi, I could be wrong.

I'm sure they change some every year, you just don't notice most of the suttle changes.

Reaction score
Meekaboo said:
Ok, so it's 'normal'. But why does it happen? Can anything be done to prevent it or to make it happen? Does it affect the fishes health? My rather plain orange goldfish with a slight white belly took about two weeks to turn totally white recently.

Sorry about all the questions but I've asked at various pet stores over the years and nobody ever knew any of the answers. I even asked at a large local store that specializes in fish and they either didn't have a clue of couldn't be bothered to explain it to me.

Goldfish MAY change color throughout their lives. A few years after birth or when the goldfish (single finned varieties) reach 4 to 6 inches in length (3 to 5 inches for fancy goldfish), they should have obtained their best colors. What ever color your goldfish is, or will become, it is at its brightest and best in an outdoor pond.
Goldfish and many other animals change color in response to light levels. Pigment production in response to light is something we are all familiar with, since this is the basis for a suntan. Fish have cells called chromatophores that produce the pigments that give coloration or reflect light. The color of a fish is determined in part by which pigments are in the cells (there are several colors), how many pigment molecules there are, and whether the pigment is clustered inside the cell or is distributed throughout the cytoplasm.
Goldfish tend to change color. Most change during the first year of life, but others change throughout their lifetimes (which should be at least 10 years). Inexpensive goldfish change in unpredictable ways because their parentage is uncertain and their color genes represent a random mix. Expensive "purebred" goldfish SHOULD exhibit significantly more predictable changes, achieving similar coloration of their parents as they mature. But be warned: If you purchase young (under a year or so), high-quality goldfish you cannot be certain that the colors you see are the colors you will end up with a year later.
Most importantly, color change in goldfish is not harmful to a fish; it is not an indication that something is wrong, and it is not a disease. Treating healthy goldfish with antibiotics is a sure-fire way to kill the animals (and guarantee one final color change).

Reaction score
I am so glad I saw this. I could never find an answer. I purchased a 5" fantail goldfish about 2 months ago. She was orange except for one small black mark between her eyes. A week later she developed black spots on her fins and within a month she was completely black from the gills back. Odd, that her face, including that original black spot remained unchanged. Now, it looks like the orange is retuning to her body. Needless to say, that I named her Cammie, because of the changing colors like a Chameleon.

Reaction score
Well, Patches is now completely black except an area jut under his mouth stayed orange.
He seems healty and happy and eats and swims with the other fish, so I guess I don't need to worry about him. The only problem now is that I can rarely find him unless he is feeding at the surface!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i have a koi that was white with orange red and black markings all over...now over 5 to 7 days back in the sun has a tancho cap and all black sanke patterns no color on fins(yet?)

Reaction score
Goldfish can turn black due to ammonia burn. Have you checked your water parameters. This has happened to my goldfish in the past. An ulcer can sometimes appear where the skin had turned black.

Ask a Question