Fish chasing fish

Reaction score
We have about 15 gold fish and one all white fish that is just a little larger than the gold fish in about a 1000 gal pond. The white fish maybe a Koi. The gold fish have been chasing and biting at the white fish non-stop for days. I don't know how the white fish has servived. Today they have chased him since I first noticed early this morning and they are still at it. Can any one tell me what is going on?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh if its a koi it has whiskers (barbels) at the sides of its mouth. is there actual fin peices missing or wounds of any kind?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How large (long) is the white fish. Is it's belly swollen on both sides like it has a ballon inside? Can you post a picture?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine were actually trying to get something started early this morning but every one was not willing and it stopped

Reaction score
The LOVE POND is open for business!

Froggy%20Love.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Great frog pic! My pair of greenies has been out sunning, each day getting closer to one another . Peepers moved into the flooded yard across the road and last year's tree frog sounds seems to have finally found a mate. Spring is a beautiful time!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Last summer I was able to identify which shubunkin's were female. The two were being hounded by the rest in that spawning chase noted in a post above. I'm not really interested in having any more fish in my pond because of the size of my pond. If they lay eggs, and the baby's make it, good for them.

Happy ponding,

Reaction score
The white fish is a goldfish. Common or Comet. When young they are orange or brown, many change from brown to orange when very little. As they become adults most change to red or white. The red still look orange, but there is a difference. Some are white with a red spot or two for awhile but generally become all white. Some do stay brown.

The chasing is probably spawning behavior. Right time of year, right color. Males chase females. This can kill females. If this concern you there are a couple things you can do. Add plants for the females to hide in. You can also move the female to a separate tank or enclosed area but this comes with risks too. After a week or two put the female back and spawning might be almost instantly. The idea is to reduce the amount of time the female is chased to when she is really ready. Once spawned the female will be left alone.

Ask a Question