Fish death

Reaction score
Good afternoon
We were Changing the water About 30% as I do every Friday and are shocked that 9 electric blues from baby’s to lg ones and 1 koi were found floating. I also see like an oily film in the water surface, the only addition to my pond Several months ago was Another 1 gallon Papyrus plant that I removes all the dirt and planted them with Clean gravel in a new plastic pot. I also planted 3 Small water hyacinth In a 3 ft plastic Square Container, Again no dirt just clean gravel. And added 3 large (6 inches each) water lettuce plants Before I added these I wash the Containers and plants roots in clean water from my well. All the plants blossomed, the water lettuce have almost covered the surface so has the hyacinth, I have 2 large Air bubblers 24/7 And large water fall running for 8 hrs.
3000 g pond w/ 7200gph pump to a 100 g Skippy filter and 5 gallon Carbon filter and 2 55w UV Lights. The film never seen that, so I did a 80% water change removed all the water lettuce and half the hyacinth and placed them into a kiddy pool. Left the 4 water lilies and the 4 Papyrus. No spray of any kind anywhere in my back yard.
I am stumped.
soory for long post

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry for the loss of your fish. Could you have a pump that is leaking oil? Honestly that doesn't sound like a likely culprit, but it came to mind.

Were the fish dead and you found them as you were getting ready to do the water change or did they die after the water change?

Reaction score
Very sorry for the loss of your fish. Could you have a pump that is leaking oil? Honestly that doesn't sound like a likely culprit, but it came to mind.

Were the fish dead and you found them as you were getting ready to do the water change or did they die after the water change?
Thank you, I do have 2 pumps 1 water fall and other to filter. Will check in the am.
noticed before water change we do this every a Friday

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@ricksplace - sorry to hear about your fish. It does sound like something got into the pond - pump leaking oil was my first guess.

Let me ask you - why the constant water changes?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@ricksplace This May have already been mentioned, but do you use a dechlorinator when you add fresh water?

Also, and I’ll admit that this is way out there, but do you have any lumber or fresh wood in or near your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am sure everyone else is correct in saying this may be from your pump. But I thought I would share this experience, too, since I thought it was weird and your post reminded me of it. About a year ago, I had a still water garden in a giant planter pot. It did great for a while. I had plain kitty litter in the bottom and a lotus bulb, a mini lily, and parrot's feather. I had a few guppies, too! After a season, something went wrong in there. (Of course, there was no filtration whatsoever - no movement of water, either. It was more of an experiment than anything.) In my case, the water got very dark gray and smelled horrid. But I also noticed a very oily film on the surface. Whenever I dumped the water to start over, it got all funky again and the oily film returned. (It had that "rainbow" look to it that made me think "oily.") Again, the situation in my container garden is completely different from yours. But I thought it might be worth mentioning in case you rule out other options. I think something died and rotted in mine and the whole tiny ecosystem got all messed up.

Reaction score
Ok here’s the update, I removed all the water lettuce plants and placed them in a plastic kiddy pool, emptied 80% Of the water. Removed both pumps and since both boxes say no oil inside test them in a large cooler nothing leaked water still clear. Filled pond again and did a water change Checked no other dead fish. Wife does not want water lettuce she thinks that since it covers top of pond fish will die again

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, the water lettuce is helping to protect the fish and doubt that they contributed to the problem. Remind your wife (nicely, of course) that when we keep animals as pets, we have to keep the animals happy by mimicking their natural environment — it’s not all about us lowly humans! Maybe you could only use some of the plants, if not all.

Thank you for the update! The reason I asked earlier about wood that could have come in contact with the water, is that some woods naturally produce an oily substance. That happened to me in my earlier pond days. Turned out, my fish were OK, and the “oiliness” went away, so may not even remotely apply to your situation, but was just a thought.

Reaction score
Ok just in case did another water change of 20% and drained and cleaned skippy filter. Rinse all plastic media Gently and removed all the gunk. Will put water lettuce back. wife upset, she thinks they came sick from the pond place. she want less Plants. So Will keep her happy. Here are some pics without the water lettuce.

Attachments

• B8521329-2EB7-46D5-A119-6FC807F12C3E.jpeg
    B8521329-2EB7-46D5-A119-6FC807F12C3E.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 88
  • AB7A9A1C-69D2-4988-9BE6-81751674F29F.jpeg
    AB7A9A1C-69D2-4988-9BE6-81751674F29F.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 94
  • D164EF08-F90A-4FBA-B589-0D3338F1FE0F.jpeg
    D164EF08-F90A-4FBA-B589-0D3338F1FE0F.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DFCF0A60-BF99-4FF1-B0B6-F3553A93B64F.jpeg
    DFCF0A60-BF99-4FF1-B0B6-F3553A93B64F.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 676C8EFA-D122-47ED-BB8C-3E1594152E94.jpeg
    676C8EFA-D122-47ED-BB8C-3E1594152E94.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 93

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gently tell wife plants help keep the fish healthy. I use only plants to keep my pond balanced and the fish healthy. No filters except the bog full of plants.

Ask a Question