fish death

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20210202_123748.jpg

Hi guys can you help, I have a new pound and had 20 fish, this picture was taken Tuesday, yesterday Wednesday they had all died, any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Alan! Sorry to hear of your loss. I am guessing you put all 20 fish into a new pond that is not cycled. Did you use water conditioner? In my opinion, that pond is way too small for 20 fish. Probably they died from either un-treated water or a huge ammonia spike due to your filter and pond not being cycled. Before restocking, let's learn a little about your pond. How many gallons/liters? What type of filtration does the pond have? Do you have pond water test kits? Again, welcome. You have come to the right place for help. The members of this site are very helpful and nice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thanks Steven, The pond was settled for a couple of weeks before fish went in, there is a pump which was recommend by the garden centre, and oxygenator plants, they had been doing well even during that very cold snap last week, I also thought the large number of fish might have been an issue, but it is why the garden centre recommended the pump I have (Superfish Comi clear 4-in1 filter 2000). When the water was fist put in I added a conditioner that makes tap water safe for fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How large is your pond? The filter will not cycle anytime this century without something to start feeding and growing the beneficial bacteria. You can do this by adding one small fish or better yet, do fishless cycling. Fishless cycling is the most humane method. Here is one method: A Quick Guide to Fishless Cycling: An Easy Way to Start Your New Aquarium - Marine Depot Blog
There are many other fishless cycling techniques too.
There are other things you can do to 'jump start' the cycle process such as adding lots of plants, filter media from another cycled filter, substrate from a cycled pond, all of which will be replete with beneficial bacteria.
My guess is the garden center recommended that filter for your pond with the vision that you would first prepare (cycle) and make it a decorative water garden with only a few fish and many plants. And that is quite reasonable. When you do add fish, I suggest adding one and waiting a week to add the second fish. But again, how large is your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!

All 20 died! That's sad. Sorry to hear that.

A lot of things can cause your problem. Ph, ammonia are two that immediately come to mind.

Get yourself an API pond (liquid) test kit. Then post here in this thread the exact numbers from the test results. Hopefully we can determine what the problem is or was.

One thing I will say is, don't start adding miracle chemicals. The only chemical I use are water conditioner (as you did) to dechlorinate the town water.

You'll also discover that a pond takes patience. Anything you do to correct a problem takes time. Things don't happen overnight.

That being said, give us more information on your setup. Gallons, water depth, the climate where you live, what type of filter (in detail).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Steven, I drained the pond yesterday and once cleaned re-filled it, all the plants and the pump has been put back, I will only add a few fish but how long would you suggest I give it before I do, obversesly the process is starting over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When I started my first pond over a decade ago, the fish I introduced were 10 cent feeder goldfish. Instead of being someone's dinner, they were given an extended life since I still have most of them in my now bigger pond, 12 years later!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome!

All 20 died! That's sad. Sorry to hear that.

A lot of things can cause your problem. Ph, ammonia are two that immediately come to mind.

Get yourself an API pond (liquid) test kit. Then post here in this thread the exact numbers from the test results. Hopefully we can determine what the problem is or was.

One thing I will say is, don't start adding miracle chemicals. The only chemical I use are water conditioner (as you did) to dechlorinate the town water.

You'll also discover that a pond takes patience. Anything you do to correct a problem takes time. Things don't happen overnight.

That being said, give us more information on your setup. Gallons, water depth, the climate where you live, what type of filter (in detail).
thank you for the answer, the pond is 3ft/3ft with a depth of 2ft 6, it holds a 110 Gallons, located in Surrey, the pump is a combi clear filter 2000,with UVC and fountain. it amazes me one day all were alive and seemed relaxed and overnight they died. I have cleaned and refilled the pond but how long should I give before adding a few fish again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks Steven, I drained the pond yesterday and once cleaned re-filled it, all the plants and the pump has been put back, I will only add a few fish but how long would you suggest I give it before I do, obversesly the process is starting over
I don't know why you emptied and cleaned the pond. That's usually a no-no and is only done for extreme situations where, for example, something toxic has gotten into the pond and polluted the water.

Now you'll have to start all over.

It's OK, you're learning and you came to the right place for help.

Pretty much every aspect of the pond is part of the ecosystem. Growth on the liner, for example, is a good thing. It helps with the filtration. So, never scrub or power wash your liner.

Then there's what we call new pond syndrome where your water turns green almost immediately, within in a few days. That's OK. It will clear up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay Alan, that information helps. I also have two small water gardens. For planning purposes, consider your water garden an outdoor 110 gallon aquarium. The water capacity is actually somewhat less because you would never fill the tank to the brim. So use 100 gallons as a rule of thumb. I would first follow what I suggested above. Get the water garden cycled first and then add one fish at a time. Personally, I think you have a very nice pond and it would look beautiful with just a couple of goldfish and lots of water lilies and other aquatic plants. I also keep two smaller water gardens so feel free to ask your questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained the pond because I thought someone may have put something in the water, all the fish dying overnight is worrying. But i am learning

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay Alan, that information helps. I also have two small water gardens. For planning purposes, consider your water garden an outdoor 110 gallon aquarium. The water capacity is actually somewhat less because you would never fill the tank to the brim. So use 100 gallons as a rule of thumb. I would first follow what I suggested above. Get the water garden cycled first and then add one fish at a time. Personally, I think you have a very nice pond and it would look beautiful with just a couple of goldfish and lots of water lilies and other aquatic plants. I also keep two smaller water gardens so feel free to ask your questions.
Thank you, that's a great help, there are 2 water lilies in there at the bottom at the moment, growing. I will let you know how it goes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good deal, Alan. I am not sure what your weather is like at this time. You mentioned a cold snap. The cycling process takes longer if the water temperature is cold so you might consider that too. The water temperature (not air temp) is what matters. The best way to ensure the pond is cycled is to test the water daily and they you will know for certain. I think your pond center can help you with that. We are looking forward to hearing of your future success.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If your filter has pads in it that need to be rinsed occasionally, use pond water in a bucket. Don't use your house water that is chlorinated. The chlorine will kill the beneficial bacteria residing in the filter media. You just want to rinse the buildup.

Just about everything in your pond is part of the ecosystem. Plants, filter, growth on the liner.

Once your pond is established and cycled, it will practically run itself. You shouldn't have to clean anything but your filter media. Do this when you see the output of the filter diminish due to the pads clogging.
You might have to net out some leaves, etc. If you have trees and such nearby.

Also, if your filter has bio-balls or something similar, you never want to rinse them. Just leave them be. That's where a lot of the beneficial bacteria has colonized.

I literally have done absolutely nothing to my pond water in years.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good deal, Alan. I am not sure what your weather is like at this time. You mentioned a cold snap. The cycling process takes longer if the water temperature is cold so you might consider that too. The water temperature (not air temp) is what matters. The best way to ensure the pond is cycled is to test the water daily and they you will know for certain. I think your pond center can help you with that. We are looking forward to hearing of your future success.
It was freezing,

Ask a Question