Fish died how will I know it's safe to get more?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our new house cane with a pond, amazing. First thing we noticed was that two of the fish had bent tails. But others were fine.... Until recently we tried to figure out how to clear the algae and used some different products. The fish seemed fine but overnight they died.
It must've been the stuff we used. We want to finish cleaning the pond and get more fish but we want to avoid this happening again. So what can we do to make sure it's safe for new fish? Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Adding chemicals to get rid of algae is usually not a good idea. Plus you're killing the algae, but not getting to the root of the problem.
The best way is to get your pond's natural cycle going and all will be good.
Everything plays a role in this cycle. The fish, the plants, the beneficial bacteria, etc.
In a very basic explanation, the fish poop creates nutrients in the water which the algae feed on. Introducing plants that compete with the algae will clear up your water. Your pond also develops a coating of growth on the liner which also helps. So it's usually not a good idea to empty and clean the liner.
Your filter also breeds beneficial bacteria.

I suggest adding lots of plants and do a partial water change, especially to dilute those chemicals that you put in there. There are many types of plants. Some just float on the surface of the water. Water hyacinths, water lettuce, sensitive plant, fairy moss, water spangles are some examples of floating plants which will help clear your water.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Adding chemicals to get rid of algae is usually not a good idea.

I made the same mistake when I had my very first pond. Didn't kill any fish, but made the mistake of thinking that algae was the problem. I have a feeling most people make that mistake. I didn't realize that algae was good, and the cause of the growth is what I needed to focus on. My bog filter that I created for my current pond made a world of difference. Got rid of the pea soup. I still get some string algae some times, but it doesn't bother me, as long as the pond is clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I made the same mistake when I had my very first pond. Didn't kill any fish, but made the mistake of thinking that algae was the problem. I have a feeling most people make that mistake. I didn't realize that algae was good, and the cause of the growth is what I needed to focus on. My bog filter that I created for my current pond made a world of difference. Got rid of the pea soup. I still get some string algae some times, but it doesn't bother me, as long as the pond is clear.
Yes, good point. Another common mistake is to empty and scrub out a "dirty" pond.
Something I've also learned is to have patience and let nature do it's thing.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jenwales Never will I use chemicals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I don't use chemicals either, just plants, lots of plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies. There's already plants in there, well something grassy and water Lillies don't think much more will fit. I thought the stuff would've been safe to use but obviously not. Or we did something wrong. Should've clued up before we started doing things. That's what I'm trying to do now so any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So what can we do to make sure it's safe for new fish? Thanks
Finish cleaning the pond, do some water changes, let the pond run fishless for a week if not more. Get a liquid test kit so you can monitor the ammonia etc when you do get fish. Start with a small number of fish so the pond can cycle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Google is your pal. Read up on the Nitrogen Cycle. After you wrap your brain around the basics of that, realize when we kill almost anything (algae) that’s alive, it produces ammonia. You don’t want that. Addy nailed it. Follow those instructions and realize that for the most part, algae is good. Be patient and let Ma Nature deal with the algae.

Ask a Question