Fish died :( Is there anything obvious here? Warning: Pics

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
The water is testing fine but I lost one of our middle guys today. I'm not as familiar with disease as many here are and just want to make sure there is nothing obvious. The grass is my fault as he fell when I got him out of the water.

Everybody else is very frisky and hungry.

20141010_183530_zpsa044b419.jpg

20141010_183521_zps06146175.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This koi looks emaciated and its eyes sunken, indicating that its not been eating which may well be a number of thing .
Think back a few days and tell me what was this koi doing to draw your attention to it in the first place , had it been floating head up or down in the water by the side of the pond, for a number of days prior to it dying ?
Its important you remember Texmaster as it could give us the answer as to what to treat the rest of your fish for , aal and I do have an idea what it may have been dependant on your answers .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
This koi looks emaciated and its eyes sunken, indicating that its not been eating which may well be a number of thing .
Think back a few days and tell me what was this koi doing to draw your attention to it in the first place , had it been floating head up or down in the water by the side of the pond, for a number of days prior to it dying ?
Its important you remember Texmaster as it could give us the answer as to what to treat the rest of your fish for , aal and I do have an idea what it may have been dependant on your answers .

Dave
Out of curiosity, if a fish is sick and stops eating, special a small one like this, how long can it go without eating before it looks emaciated? I had been feeding every 2-3 days until recently, feeling the need to feed daily to get them good and stored for winter (mixing in garlic). This reminds me to keep and eye at feeding time to make sure everyone is eating and clearing their plate!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Out of curiosity, if a fish is sick and stops eating, special a small one like this, how long can it go without eating before it looks emaciated? I had been feeding every 2-3 days until recently, feeling the need to feed daily to get them good and stored for winter (mixing in garlic). This reminds me to keep and eye at feeding time to make sure everyone is eating and clearing their plate!

Depends on how well fed it was before Lisa whats wrong with it i;e internal or external problems etc but the 27 year old we had who was 6" long got emaciated in just over a month to six weeks

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry for you loss, it does look like a goldfish to me also, not saying it is but just looks like it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sorry guys I'm still diagnosing a problem with the waterfall flow.

Yes it is a koi. We don't have any goldfish only koi. I wish I could tell you I noticed he wasn't eating but I didn't because when they eat its ferocious and honestly I never noticed them not eating and they are fed daily.

Didn't loose any today and once again they ate like wild animals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry guys I'm still diagnosing a problem with the waterfall flow.

Yes it is a koi. We don't have any goldfish only koi. I wish I could tell you I noticed he wasn't eating but I didn't because when they eat its ferocious and honestly I never noticed them not eating and they are fed daily.

Didn't loose any today and once again they ate like wild animals.
Wasting away like that is almost always an indictor that it has flukes Texman could you do a scrape on one of your other koi starting from the gills towards the tail then get the scrape under a microscope as koi can carry a heavy load/infestation before you start to see any losses .
If loots are in evidence use something like our Fluke M made by Kusuri koi here in the UK .

Dave

Ask a Question