Fish dieing due to bushfires

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So unfortunately I have had some fish die and at first it was slightly high In amonia but I fixed that up and now water is exactly what it should be... but fish are still dieing so I went into pet shop with water sample to test and everything was perfect ! But he than began to tell me it’s been happening to a lot of people because of The bushfires and air quality is so bad when it rains it’s effecting the water !! How disappointing! Any ideas ? I don’t think there is much I can do

(Australia)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sad. The only thing I can think of is to cover the pond to keep out the rain water, which is probably impossible. And / or do water changes every time it rains.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh no that's terrible. I would think too that you would need to somehow keep that rain from entering your pond. Maybe make a tent out of plastic so the water runs down the sides away from your pond. Now I think you will have to do slow in and out water changes to get your water now into a safe zone. You don't want to do this too fast or it could shock those poor fish worse. I'm not sure if floating air particles from the ash or smoke will effect the water also. Do you have an air pump running?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry this is happening to you and to a lot of other people
smsad.gif

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Unfortunately it’s from the ash and particles in the air so I am going pick up a tarp and put it over when it rains
I have never done water change ? Do I just take some out and then add ? With water conditioner ? And I have a pump running still

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some members here build tents to completely cover their ponds for the winter.
You can buy one of those portable type garages or build something yourself. Some use wood framing and some use pipe for the frame. You can cover it with clear plastic so some sun will get through. You can buy rolls of greenhouse plastic sheeting.
Maybe someone here will chime in.
How large is your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i would bet it's more then just the rain. i would tent the pond as tight as i could and i would get my hands on a air pump but one that has an air tube for an intake place one end into a closed bottle with a stopper that has two tubes one that connects to your pump that just enters the bottle and a second that has it's tube that goes into a water area Like a BONG it will help to filter out the many many bad things in your air. The dust in your air is loaded with all kinds of bad bad things. As the air gets blown past us the real bad smoke that passed through that hit your water is a sponge and absorbed into the water. Where it does not get blown away and your fish live in it. i would also go as far as to get a rodi filter for your drinking water. Trust me you don't want to trust politicians when they tell you that everything is good. Hell i couldn't believe my ears when 911 twin towers collapsed and the EPA said there was no health risk. that the air was fine to breath. Lets forget about the fires and the concrete and silica dust . And just look at the fact that in 75 they banned asbestos many types of anyways for use in buildings. the fireproofing and other products were loaded...... and lead base paint yup same story. Now burn homes and asphalt etc i believe it was tennis balls that when they burned gave off a very poisonous gas.
I wish all you folks on the other side of the pond the best and lots of rain. ok enough rain to put the fires out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a firm believer of start right / stress coat etc that many aquariums use when they bag your fish. it promotes slime coatings on them and any help is a good thing.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks everyone ! My pond is a timber pond it’s about 1m by 1.5m if anyone has any idea or pics of how they tent this would be helpful!
I am on my way now to go get a tarp to keep out the rain !
So sad even my plants don’t look to good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks everyone ! My pond is a timber pond it’s about 1m by 1.5m if anyone has any idea or pics of how they tent this would be helpful!
Check out this post...maybe it will give you some ideas...

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is what I have done for now ! They are all not looking so good

Attachments

• 367D5CAC-F5D7-480B-8BED-57FB914AB200.jpeg
    367D5CAC-F5D7-480B-8BED-57FB914AB200.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 89658185-6BDD-44F8-B43E-8F9771B2E751.jpeg
    89658185-6BDD-44F8-B43E-8F9771B2E751.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 95
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You have to forgive me, I had to look up meters compared to feet. Now I have an idea what size it is!
Ok, I see what you did. That looks good.

I think GBBUDD had a good idea on the need to add oxygen by using an aerator with some type of filter on the intake side.
Good luck and Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yes I’ll have a look at the filter and see what I can do
Finger crossed they all make it and my plants come back !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

@callingcolleen1 here who is in Canada covers her ponds nicely in the winter w/plastic and weighs the sides down so heat stays in. Perhaps this would work for keeping the smoke particles out of yours. She has many video's on her covers. Scroll down towards the bottom of this link and you will see one on her winter covers: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-pond-runs-all-winter-zone-2-3.10570/page-98

Ask a Question