fish dieing - noob mistake

Reaction score
after finishing my new pond I am having a few golfish die, the mistake I made is I put them in to quickly after the pond constructed, literally the next day.

the ph is steady at 7.5, and never fluctuates after adding crushed coral, the nitrate levels are 0, but the amonia im struggling with, its between 0.25 and 0.5

any advice guys?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Ponds are just like aquariums... they require time to cycle. Basically what you're waiting for is the good bacteria to become well enough established that it is able to eat the waste from your fish. There is also a certain point where the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia all balance each other out.

You may be able to do daily water changes to help offset the fish waste, but this will make it take longer to cycle, and just must be careful during this period to not allow ANY chlorinated water into the biological portion of your filter.

There are also bottles of biological bacteria available for sale, this should help speed up the process of reaching a balanced point. Most brands only contain one type of bacteria, but I believe there are three beneficial types (and of course they won't say which particular type they contain). If you can find a brand that states it contains more than one type of bacteria, it will help the quickest.

By the way, can you give us some details about your pond size, filter setup, and what sort of biological filtration you have?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
how many fish have you got in there 200 gallons is not very big, did you add de chlorinater to get the chlorine out of your tap water ... small water changes will help dilute your water,

Ask a Question