Fish disease on 3 of my koi

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello, need help with 3 koi that have some kind of ailment on the gills. My water chem is perfect and I'm not overcrowding them.

I only have pics of the first fish so far.

IMG_4572.JPGIMG_4585.JPG

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Now this area on the gills is on both of them. It at first looked like it was coming off in strands. It has stopped now, but will not go away.

2nd fish has cloudy film over entire body.
3rd fish has some weird scale disease that started at the head and progressed to mid body. Looks like top layer has rubbed off and looks raw.

All are eating and appear healthy otherwise. As soon as I catch them I'll post pics.

Thks for any help.

Reaction score
I cant see enough on the pictures, but it sounds like you are describing a fungal infection. If no one can give you solid info, I would probably treat them with Proform C and hope that gets it.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Here is the guy with skin or ulcer disease. Can't get any better pic at the moment. It looks worse now from chasing the guy around the pond and then time in a 5 gal pail and handling. Now looks like a bloody sore in one spot and from the head to mid body flesh is raw. Black spots are fish color.

3rd fish, camera pics don't show the cloudy body slime well enough.

Attachments

• IMG_4592.JPG
    IMG_4592.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,391
Reaction score
I did a quick websearch as I remembered reading that a couple parasites to cause excessive mucus/slime coat ... costia and trichodina both do this ... Proform C works for both ... BUT I am not certain this is what is wrong with your fish, going more from your verbal description than the images. Saprolegniasis (fungal) was what I was thinking from the earlier post, and Proform C works for that as well ... IF you decide you want to use Proform C, the best price I have found is on ebay ... this is who I get it from, and they are super fast to ship http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProForm-C-D...151104974546?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item232e8eeed2 Maybe others will have more definative ideas of what is going on ...

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks, I'm looking into it now on this site and others. So many diseases and treatments. I did have good luck with one medication for koi ulcers in the past. Cured them first time around but very hard on the fish, 2nd treatment a year later killed most.

No luck with PEtsmart meds.

Reaction score
Keep in mind when it comes to ulcers, that they are usually secondary to something else. Read up on the Proform C. It hits a lot of different things, and when used per instructions, I havent seen any negative effects on the fish.

Out of curiousity ... how are your water temps doing up in Canada? Thinking stress due to a cold snap?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tend to always think parasites first then bacterial or fungal infections. Especially with recently purchased fish or pond fish who are exposed to so much more than fish in our indoor tanks.

Some medications that are used to treat parasites dont work well or should not be used at all in temperatures that are too cold.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I think like most that these meds for the most part are useless and are just money grabbers.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
capewind said:
I did a quick websearch as I remembered reading that a couple parasites to cause excessive mucus/slime coat ... costia and trichodina both do this ... Proform C works for both ... BUT I am not certain this is what is wrong with your fish, going more from your verbal description than the images. Saprolegniasis (fungal) was what I was thinking from the earlier post, and Proform C works for that as well ... IF you decide you want to use Proform C, the best price I have found is on ebay ... this is who I get it from, and they are super fast to ship http://www.ebay.com/itm/ProForm-C-D...151104974546?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item232e8eeed2 Maybe others will have more definative ideas of what is going on ...
Canada has almost the worst record for the amount of chemicals it bans. Formalin is on the ban list. I guess they found high levels in farmed fish and banned it. Now for hobby fish not sure. I did contact this ebay seller and he said it's 50/50 chance to get through customs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How much water do you have these in and what are they in, last but not least how are they filtered .
please ?

rgrds

Dave

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi Dave, 6500 gal pond, tons of filtration, not any problem. Only these 3 out of 50 koi and goldfish of different sizes show signs. All fish are eating and show no weird behavior.

Pulled these 3 from the pond and have them in the garage in 100 gal of water. So far just did a 30% water change from the pond water and salted to .1 %.

Some opinions so far from other sources say that 2 of them might just have scrape or rubbing damage from the rocks. 3rd one I need to get photos.

Need some clove oil to sedate and a shallow observation tub to give them a good once over.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
capewind said:
Keep in mind when it comes to ulcers, that they are usually secondary to something else. Read up on the Proform C. It hits a lot of different things, and when used per instructions, I havent seen any negative effects on the fish.

Out of curiousity ... how are your water temps doing up in Canada? Thinking stress due to a cold snap?
Hey caper, pond water temps today are 48F. These guys not bothered by the cold as the temps drop slowly as the freezzing approaches.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Salted now to .2 %, .3% in 24 hours. Will increase temps. With tons of air, filtration, warmer temps and salt, they should improve. If not I will sedate them and take better photos for opinions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Wayne I think what your fishes problem is than likely Tricodina which is the only thing I know that eats skin like your seeing on your fish .
Its seen as the temperature falls in winter or rises again in spring .
Large numbers will attack the skn like what we are seeing here and it gets brought about in poorly maintained sytems
Tricodina is a Protozozn parasite, large numbers can destroy the skin like we are seeing on your three koi the more skin damaged the heavier the infection which can in turn lead to bacterial problems.
Have these koi beein flicking or rubbing themselves against things.
With older koi it takes a while to be infected but with koi under a year old the effects can be far more rapid .
Have you noticed a white appearance to your koi your answer to that was yes
If so that is being caused by a large build up of mucus which I'm affraid to say if left can envelope the whole fish.
At this stage they become lethargic and weak and can be seen to be drawn into our filter or skimmer
If left un treated this can kill but yoy'll need a scrape to ascertain what your problem is.
treatment for Tricodina is PP at a dose of 1.5g per 1,000 litre or 220 gallons (you'l have to work out the US gallonage I'm affraid .
They can be can then be repeated if need be at 5 to 7 day intervals for three weeks maximum .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question