Fish disease question

Reaction score
Have 7 fish 5-10 years old. Going to move them for fall and notice one is ill. Getting bloated, scales staring to distend, lethargic. Others ok. Anything I can do to try and save him.

Its the calico.

Attachments

• 5F6FA8BC-240C-49E0-92C6-ADB7D2089590.jpeg
    5F6FA8BC-240C-49E0-92C6-ADB7D2089590.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Move them why?

Dropsy is a tough one to resolve in a fish. Once you see that level of bloating and pine coning it's probably too late. It can be the result of a number of things that are affecting the fish so unless you can figure that out, it's almost impossible. I'd separate it from the healthy fish for sure. I'd be concerned about water quality - do you do any regular water testing? How many fish do you have and how big is your pond?

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Move them why?

Dropsy is a tough one to resolve in a fish. Once you see that level of bloating and pine coning it's probably too late. It can be the result of a number of things that are affecting the fish so unless you can figure that out, it's almost impossible. I'd separate it from the healthy fish for sure. I'd be concerned about water quality - do you do any regular water testing? How many fish do you have and how big is your pond?
agreed with Lisak1, all the normal questions :)

there are some medications that claim to resolve it, but they are pricey and dont always work. Before you even try that though, make sure the source of dropsy is gone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dropsy is a normally a result of kidney failure. The water taken in by the fish isn't being expelled like it should be so it collects in the tissues and causes the fish to swell. It is usually caused by a bacterial infection.

Since the kidneys are failing, by the time the fish gets to this stage, it's usually too late. Some fish have recovered with great care from their owners, but those fish are the exception.

Ask a Question