fish eating lilies ?

Reaction score
Hi all...
Hope everything is fine with you and your ponds :)

I'm sure I haven't dreamt... yesterday I noticed my water lilies leaves are all damaged.

Then i noticed the fish were literally attacking the leaves ?

Does it even make sense ? Do they need to be fed ? They've never been fed, there are so many stuff falling in this pond, and still some run off from rainwater that bring in clay that they love...

So should I start feeding my fish ?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nope just something they do .I will find my biggest koi aggie dragging a plant around ,but they munch on everything .Remember that when the fish eat more they produce more wastes which will cause water problems .Once gunk starts to grow on the liner you will see them do this less .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
My fish have never eaten my water lilies, there's usually plenty of algae around the sides of the pond for them to eat. But yes, feed them by all means. They love to eat.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is a new cleaned pond so not much for them to eat ,I usually only feed mine 2 maybe 3 times a week .The more you feed the more water quality problems you may have .So feed them a little but just watch how much Fish will always prefer plants over anything else .My koi love strawberries ,blueberries and watermelon

Reaction score
yeah I was concerned by the water quality... which is still a problem because the job has not been done right.

I'm gonna try to feed them and see, but the pond already has a nice amount of algae, clay/mud, particles due to the run off problem's I've had. And i see the fish are really busy on the sides eating from there... just last year they were not touching the lilies :'( lol
I have watermelon might try and see if it makes them happy lol

thx a lot again for sharing you experience and advises :)

Reaction score
wonder if undersides of lillies have algae or microscopic goodies that they like... lol who knows maybe they are bored

Reaction score
I was wondering but didn't notice anything wrong on the lilies... they looked like they were bored actually... lol cos when they wanna eat they have plenty of rocks, with stuff on it...

Reaction score
I think koi get bored and decide anything in the pond is a play thing or something to eat. They do love to dig.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep koi get bored and i put in my pond those extremely large plastic christmas balls and just plug up the hole on the one end with silicon and they like pushing it from when end of the pond to the other .I did get the glass ball that glows at night and thats pretty .

They just love having toys to keep them busy

Reaction score
My fish keep themselves busy pushing the Water Hyacinth around and knocking the stems of the Pickerel Rush. Never thought of putting something of the toy nature in the pond for them to play with! :) Neat idea, but I would be constantly on the deck laughing as I watch them! :)

:goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh believe me the best 25 cents I ever spent at the end of the christmas season .They love playing fish ball and thought of putting them in the fish ball games .

Reaction score
mine aren ot even koi just goldfish and shubunkins... and the lilies look bad and bad lol they pulled almost all the leaves away i just have the strings now lol gonna have to find other plants to provide shade...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow mine have never bothered the lilies, they don't bother any of the plants, cept to nibble on the floater roots a little.

Ask a Question