Fish eating my lilys

Reaction score
My ponds only 1yr old and as its totally in the sun I decided to put some lilys in last year to try and add some shade for the fish. Which they promptly ate..... :mad::mad:
This year they all have come back bigger than before, the fish have eaten some but I now have about 8 good size leaves on the surface with a few more starting to grow.
The ones they ate where eaten from the bottom were there seems to be alot of algea growing on the steams. Is why they have been eaten or do koi & gf just eat any sort of plant ??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Koi will eat any plant in the pond. Goldfish leave almost everything alone. I put hornwort in the pond and they all nibble on that but for the most part they leave the lilies alone. They do dig in the planting media which gets in the pond. They will eat new growth and roots usually before older growth. Algae could be the cause on the stems but they will eat them either way. I really think it depends on the Koi and the pond and what is available to them. Some can not even keep one plant in their pond and others have no problems at all.

Ask a Question