Fish eating over cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Apologies as I have asked a similar question recently. I’m just confused by my fish!
I have a Blagdon stand up pond with 8 goldfish in it . The fish appear fit well and happy. I was expecting them to calm down once the water got cold but they still are swimming around like they were in the summer months. As soon a si go to the pond they come up looking to be fed. So the truth is I have been feeding them small amounts once a day. Perhaps 2 pellets each.
I keep reading they shouldn’t eat this time of year. Should I stop feeding or continue? I only feed what they appear to want to eat.
There doesn’t appear to be a right or wrong way based on opinions online but they are. It behaving as I think they should this time of year!

Any help much appreciated as always.

Paul

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Old wives tale about you shouldn’t feed fish in the winter, do they NEED supplemental feeding probably not, is it going to hurt them if it is done in moderation( ie degradation of water quality by leaving uneaten food from overfeeding in the pond)…no. Use behavior to decide when to feed if the fish are acting hungry and you want to feed them then feed them what they can consume, they will be fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bunch of rebels here! You know why my fish don't get fed in the winter? It's too dang cold for ME to be outside!

But I do know they continue to eat all winter long - they graze the sides and bottom of the pond looking for whatever they can find to munch on.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Bunch of rebels here! You know why my fish don't get fed in the winter? It's too dang cold for ME to be outside!

But I do know they continue to eat all winter long - they graze the sides and bottom of the pond looking for whatever they can find to munch on.
Haha that is the main reason my fish don’t get fed much in the winter, too cold to go out there and do it. Of course, being the smart oneI am, got a sterlet and it needs to be fed all winter long, so now I go out there to throw in sinking pellets.

Confirmed that apparently all my other fish do still like to eat even when the water is freezing cold and they aren’t swimming at the surface looking for food. All those other fish keep coming over and eating with the sterlet on its sinking pellets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I found that to be the case, too. If I fed sinking food, the fish would all eat that. I feed floating pellets now, so they have to come to the surface to eat.

I don't have the luxury of staying inside all day and have to go out to care for other critters. But the pond is in a greenhouse so it's usually pretty pleasant in there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you to all who responded. This forum is invaluable. Really pleased and not concerned now. Sending my best.
Paul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you to all who responded. This forum is invaluable. Really pleased and not concerned now. Sending my best.
Paul

Ask a Question