Fish Eggs

kcrepps

Mark and Karen
Reaction score
We are very new to ponds. We have four KOI, two comets and one "high fin" shark. We have a 1,100 gallon pond (see picture). We have recently noticed a large volume of little "bubble looking" objects, attached to some rocks in our pond. Could these be comet eggs (our KOI are pretty young)? If so, will the other fish eat the eggs?

Attachments

• fish pond.JPG
    fish pond.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Yes, some of the fish will eat the eggs, but you are likely to have a few or so make it. Comets breed faster than rabbits but dont rule out the koi unless they are really small. I had always read that koi wouldnt reproduce if smaller than 8-12"... ya, about that! I sit by our pond every day the weather is good, and see when the girls plump up with eggs, and who is suddenly thin again... Can't tell you who the daddy(s) are, but I know who the moms are LOL. My smallest girl that I know for a fact is a mom is just 6" now. Growing out some of her babies inside now!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty pond and love all your plants! Could be eggs in there and yes the fish will eat the ones they find. Some may be hidden and hatch so look for tiny little fry...............so small they can fit through a screen door screen. I know cuz mine found safety in the fiberglass screen door I used as a bottom for my floating plant rings. They would get in there but then get fat and couldn't get out so I had to dump them out when the time came for them to fend for themselves in the big pond world :razz:

Reaction score
Do you WANT survivors? Sorry to answer a question with a question LOL.

IF you want survivors, carefully collect some eggs (those attached to a small plant would be the easiest to save), put them in a CLEAN tote with an airstone, and wait a few days and you will have fry.

IF you want to let nature take its course, most of the eggs are likely to be eaten (other fish, dragonfly nymphs, frogs, etc). If they manage to stay hidden til they are about an inch in size, they are likely to survive, and then the question will be how many do you have room to keep.

We have had some survivors outside, but I never found them in our old pond til they were a couple of inches in size. This year, I dont want a ton of babies to stay out there, and have multi species, and only want certain ones, so catching as many as we can find. Plus we had koi spawn in QT, so raising them out too LOL

kcrepps

Mark and Karen
Reaction score
Haha. You are right. We probably don't want survivors. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
A few may be fun to watch grow, but otherwise, careful what you wish for LOL. Unless that wish list includes another pond;-)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep now I have all these little black goldfish survivors which will be growing and taking up space. Guess I could dig another pond? Put one in the back of the house. We always sit out on the front porch deck cuz that's where the pond is now. If I had another one out back maybe we'd spend more time out there.....................hmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

kcrepps

Mark and Karen
Reaction score
Ok. We took this picture on Sunday. Are these eggs?

Attachments

• Pond photo of eggs.JPG
    Pond photo of eggs.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 316
Reaction score
My eyesight is not the best to look at small details in a picture. All I can say is could be. I have some closer pics I took when ours spawned inside (and made an aweful mess)... give me a minute and will post for you to compare to.

Reaction score
For a size reference, the string in the pics is everyday standard yarn... the small tapioca looking things are the koi eggs that were splashed out of the QT pond...

Attachments

• DSCN4069.JPG
    DSCN4069.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCN4071.JPG
    DSCN4071.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 296

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome to some western neighbors! I'm in NW LA, which is almost more East TX than it is LA :). Really cute pond you have.

Ask a Question