Fish emergency!!!

Reaction score
I've got a real fish emergency going on in my pond... I've lost about half my fish in a short period of time... There is a fungus and/or parasite growing on gills and on the sides of their bodies... Also around the mouth... I've tried fungus and parasite remedies bought at Wal*Mart (my pond is 260 gallons) which does seem to have slowed things down, but the fish still refuse to eat... I have no clue what to try next, but if I can't get this under control and get them eating again, I'm sure to loose all my fish... Any suggestion and help would be greatly appreciated... Dave

Attachments

• koibig.jpg
    koibig.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 371

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm a hand loader as well.

Now for business. first of all, you have way too many large fish in a 260 gallon pond. I would be surprised if they are getting enough oxygen.

Assuming there are parasites, I would treat them all this way. I recommend a 2% rock salt water solution for no more than 10 minutes.

My web page has a link to a Florida University that has published information on this procedure. http://drdaveskoi.tripod.com

Unless you can trace the deaths directly to parasites, you might discover it is due to nitrates/nitrites being too high depriving them of oxygen. The weakest go first, and eventually the pond reaches equilibrium if it doesn't kill all of them first.

Good luck and I hope you consider a larger 2nd pond. At least that way you have a hospital pond for sick ones.:twocents:

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply... I did a water change yesterday, and at the advice of someone else, added one teaspoon of salt per gal... Interestingly, this morning the males are chasing the females nuts, and they all ate very well... The over crowding problem is gone because I've lost fully half my fish... but they seem to be getting better... Thanks so much... Dave

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm happy to hear the ememergency is now under control. Watch your nitrate levels and if necessary, do frequent water changes. Nitrate test strips are a great tool to have around. They are expensive but worth it when you consider the alternative.

In my tanks, I sometimes had to do water changes daily until the most of the over population was adopted out. I missed one day and lost 12 Koi. As of yesterday, the number in each tank has been reduced to a level that I think is down to a once a week, 25% exchange. I had over 250 to adopt out, now I have 50 left.

Maintain your pond at .1% salinity NO MORE. This is considered a healthy level for Koi. Salt level test kits are a must and only cost about $10.

Now off to find the leak in my waterfall. Yesterday I got up to a nearly drained pond and Koi not happy. I had to bypass my waterfall without stopping my bio filter. Thank goodness for 4" flex drainpipe. It allowed me to redirect my waterfall output directly into the pond through 15' of it. I think a gopher has compromised my water path down the cascade.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies... Sorry it's taken me so long to post this... Here is a picture that is indicative of the problem...

000_0219aaaa.jpg

Reaction score
You can see the problem in the caudal area on this fish... Others have been in the gills, and other parts of the body, mostly on the sides below the dorsal fins...
shark2.gif

shark2.gif

shark2.gif

Ask a Question