Fish floating on their side

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive been having issues with my koi floating on there side lately, ive only had my pond 1 year my fish did hibernate last winter im in Nevada high desert so we get cold temperatures, snow freezing. But we are having an extremely hot summer this year was wondering if this might effect them . I add cold water alot 2 have died 1 is in quarantine right now

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How big is your pond? How many koi do you have? How is your pond filtered? Why do you add cold water — is the water temperature high? We need more information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll add more questions; what kind of/how much water movement? Aeration? Plants? How deep is the pond? Are they eating? How long have they been doing this? Any chance a pesticide/chemical got into the pond? Have you introduced new fish lately? How many fish/what kind/what size in how many gallons? Have you tested the water (NOT using test strips but the liquid vial type tests) lately? Pics might help see something you don't.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1625190848883.gif
@Gayel S

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How big is your pond? How many koi do you have? How is your pond filtered? Why do you add cold water — is the water temperature high? We need more information.
My pond is 800 gallons I have about 10-12 various sise koi in it, the water temp gets about 60-65 degrees , i sdd water from the faucet

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll add more questions; what kind of/how much water movement? Aeration? Plants? How deep is the pond? Are they eating? How long have they been doing this? Any chance a pesticide/chemical got into the pond? Have you introduced new fish lately? How many fish/what kind/what size in how many gallons? Have you tested the water (NOT using test strips but the liquid vial type tests) lately? Pics might help see something you don't.
I have an all in one filter, pluss air stones in the pond . I dont use pesticides in my yard cause of other animals in the yard, I have about 10-12 maybe fish in 800 gallon pond
Where do you get test strips? Ill attach a pic later today

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Gayel S Actually, we don’t recommend test strips as they can be unreliable. Most on here use the API MASTER FRESHWATER test kit, which is a liquid, dropper test. This kit tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Then you can add a separate test kit that contains tests for KH and GH. You can get these from most pet stores that sell fish, but I usually order mine online from places like Amazon. BUT, if test strips are all you can get, they are better than nothing. And, again, not the best, but take a water sample to a pet store and they will test it for you.

Please test your water and get back with is on the results. Numbers are what we like to see, and not “normal,” or “OK” for results.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the question just answered itself - you can't keep a dozen koi in an 800 gallon pond, no matter where you're located. You may end up with one or two survivors, but that would be a miracle. Quarantine isn't going to change the water quality issue.

@Gayel S - you have the perfect pond for goldfish. I'd suggest you find a new home for your remaining koi and stock your pond with the appropriate size fish. Sorry if that sounds harsh but we hear this same issue ALL THE TIME. It's sad that the folks who sell these fish do such a terrible job of making sure they are going to suitable sized ponds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think the question just answered itself - you can't keep a dozen koi in an 800 gallon pond, no matter where you're located. You may end up with one or two survivors, but that would be a miracle. Quarantine isn't going to change the water quality issue.

@Gayel S - you have the perfect pond for goldfish. I'd suggest you find a new home for your remaining koi and stock your pond with the appropriate size fish. Sorry if that sounds harsh but we hear this same issue ALL THE TIME. It's sad that the folks who sell these fish do such a terrible job of making sure they are going to suitable sized ponds.
or, you could get her up to speed on LPS, Lisa!!!

:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have an all in one filter, pluss air stones in the pond . I dont use pesticides in my yard cause of other animals in the yard, I have about 10-12 maybe fish in 800 gallon pond
Where do you get test strips? Ill attach a pic later today
how large are the fish? And as Lisa noted, you need more or less a 1000 gallons for ONE koi let along 10 or 12. It's just asking for trouble sooner rather than later.

Ask a Question