Fish food from your garden.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Spring is here and many of us will be planting gardens.
Fresh food is good for us and our fishy friends. It would be interesting to know what we are growing in the garden and feeding to our fish.

A while back I asked the same question on Goldfish Keepers and we came up with

Kale (maybe too tough)
blanched zuchinini
Beet greens and various leaf lettuces
Swiss Chard or mustard greens

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Thinking pumpkins might work well maybe some color enhancement.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Water melons[/SIZE]

Reaction score
I keep thinking that if the birds and the squirrels eat it, for sure the fish might like it. I think the birds and squirrels are telling tall tales to the fish, cause the fish have no interest in: raspberry, blueberry, citrus, banana, sweet potato, okra, cruciforms, tomatoes, squash, lettuce, ice cream or italian ice. They do however, like lichen. And fish food. The birds and the squirrels in the mean time are getting fat and sassy. The squirrels have taken to DIGGING UP a sweet potato, eating a small bit of it, then carrying it off into another spot and planting it. I'm sure my neighborhood is going to be very pleased this summer when the sweet potatoes attempt subdivision domination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Earth worms, only smooth caterpillers (the spikey ones are poisonous ), pill bugs, woodlice,dandilion, leaves(new Leaves), young slugs, tadpoles etc
Basically its what your common sense dictates as to what fish will eat.
Give them half the chance and they'll be raidiing the freezer which in our home they do....
We did a long list of foodstuffs household, freezer, garden and I did a thread about it on this site check it out:-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/top...-for-your-koi-and-goldfish/?hl=alternate+food

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I'm not big on fish treats ... nothing wrong with giving them, I'm just lazy LOL. I like to sit on my rock and slowly toss pellets at them. or hand feed them. Over the long term, I'd like to learn which pond plants they like, and plant an abundance of them, so they can go to the salad bar themselves ... once warm weather gets here (someday), they have lots of bugs ... Even though *I like* feeding them multi times a day, I want the pond to be able to handle their nutritional needs. Someday LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Slugs! Any slug I find goes to the fish. The biggest slugs, they can't seem to eat, but otherwise? They seem to love them, and it gets rid of the damn things!

I tend to forget to offer them veggies, sadly. Maybe this year!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry, Humble. I tried to inject a little humour, but de-railed the entire train! :bye2:
John

Ask a Question