Fish fry in pond. Leave over winter or move indoors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered two baby fish in my pond about 6 weeks ago. It's autumn so mild temperatures in the door but getting very cold at night at times. We've had the occasional frost. The first are hanging out around the marginal shelves away from the big fish

They have somehow survived up to now. One is a baby shub one is black in colour. There are 3 adult shubs and an orange comet. Now do I leave the fry over winter or catch them and bring them indoors. I have a 125L tank inside with danios, rasboras and corys. I have a 80 litre shrimp tank which is a no go. And I have a 25 litre hospital tank which needs a serious clean as its had water in and no filter running for about 2 months! I do have options but what is the best thing to do? I'm worried about putting them in the big tank and like cross contamination with pathogens for the fry and for the fish in the tank. The small tank seems the best option but needs a thorough clean first

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What zone are you in? Do you leave the adult fish outside year round?

Personally, would just leave them outside. It’s what I do with all the fish in my pond, have never lost young juvenile fish from leaving them outside for the winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I remove none, right now have a bunch of 1 inch fry they are doing just fine.

Ask a Question