Fish getting worse after treatment

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello everyone, sorry if this is not the proper Forum for this thread

I've had this koi pond for years but only recently I started learning about water quality, and proper fish keeping (not to mention I managed to kill all my fish not once but TWICE, over the years, due to my ignorance), so I consider myself a newbie :)

A few days ago some of my older koi started showing signs of parasites, so last evening I treated the water with Aqua Prazi but today all the fish are acting up, even those that were fine last night!
This is the first time I use Aqua Prazi, is this normal behavior after a treatment? How long does it take for a product to show results?
I had just bought a few babies and treated the water with Melafix for 3 days. I did a 30% (approximately) water change before adding the Aqua Prazi

I live in zone 5
my pond is between 1500 and 2000gl
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PH 9.0

Should I change more water or should I just wait and see?

Thank you!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
To start no fish when new should ever be added to your pond they should be kept in a holding tank until you are sure they are healthy .I would do a water change .You don't say the size of the pond or the size of the fish and how many and how many gallons your pond is .Are you on city water or well water .What is the temp. of your pond .You may have added to many kinds of meds. to your pond .Do you have aeration and what kind of filter do you have .Pics would help also .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum :)

When you say your fish were showing signs of parasites what exactly were they doing? And what do you mean by the fish acting up?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Gemma, Welcome to the forum, although I'm sorry for the circumstances.

Did you originally use the Melafix, because of a bacterial infection...or did you think it would rid your new fish of "problems" prior to placing them in your pond?

I've not used Prazi before, but understand it's generally considered a safe medication for Flukes. Did you add the Prazi after the third day of treatment with the Melafix?

I'm interested to hear what others have to say, as I've not used it before. Sometimes we think we're helping, when we're really not.....so it's always best to be conservative.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for the welcome, Maria! :)
Sorry I wasn't accurate, some things I don't know and others I didn't have the time to put them down, but thank you for your patience!
I have a skimmer and waterfall filtration system from Aquascape. I don't know the exact measurements of my pond, hubby says it's somewhere between 1500 and 2000gl
I recently exchanged 7 large koi and got babies, now I have 15 fish, most of them 6-9", only 4 are large... I don't know how long my fish measure, but the new ones I got were between 6" and 9", so the older ones there have to be at least 15" to 20"

The signs of parasites I was talking about are: rubbing on things (rocks, pots..),sudden jumping, acting like they ich..
By "acting up", I meant they too started displaying the same symptoms.

Thanks again for your time and patience!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for the welcome, Tula :)

I used Melafix because I was adding new fish and I was advised to do so for 3 days to keep existing fish safe from possible new diseases
I used the Aqua Prazi on 4th day, after 3 days of Melafix and 30% water change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How are the fish acting now? Do you have an aerator? Adding extra O2 is a good idea. Are you able to catch the older koi? If so, you could anesthetize it and do a scrape and scope, with a microscope. This would tell you definitively, if it has a parasite and what kind, so you would know exactly what treatment would be effective.

Also, how long after you added the new koi, did your older koi begin flashing?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is nothing in the literature that indicates a problem mixing Pimafix/Melafix wuth Prazi. Generally though, it it not usually advisable to mix pond treatments which has happened here with adding the Prazi while the Melafix was still in the pond. Additionally, it is very easy to overdose with Prazi, Care should be given to avoid this.
Water changes or the use of Activated Charcoal should remove any medications left in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I added a couple of air stones and I'm doing a water change as we speak!
My fish seem to be swimming around better than this morning but they are still rubbing on hard surfaces, and one has a bad case of hemorrhaging on body and fins :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I added a couple of air stones and I'm doing a water change as we speak!
My fish seem to be swimming around better than this morning but they are still rubbing on hard surfaces, and one has a bad case of hemorrhaging on body and fins :(

It sounds like the fish that's hemorrhaging will need treatment. Are you able to take pictures for us?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's getting too dark outside for pictures!
I changed more than half of the water (after Meyer mentioned the possibility of an overdose) and now I'm afraid to add anything to the water, and risk to make things worse

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Isolate the fish in a hospital tank and start feeding it medicated food. The fish will soon die otherwise. A picture is worth a thousand words. Take one a bunch you get it isolated and post them here so we can get a clue to what is the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gemma welcome to the forum, please read the articles in the articles section above they cover quite allot of what you need to know about treatments how to QT your fish signs a novice must learn hen your koi are ill etc etc .
There is also a list of books ISBN numbers, Authors names, Titles etc that will help you in your quest for knowledge about keeping koi , treating koi and keeping them safely the cheapest way to buy them would be online
Another thing you'll need is a good quality microscope so you can take scrapes from your koi to see just what parasite you are dealing with .
Though Prazi is good its advisable to find out what parasite it is before treating your koi because Prazi may be the wrong treatmennt for the job

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome and all of your advises, everyone!
This might come as a big disappointment to you all, but I don't think I could ever scrape a fish and play vet! That's a bit out of my comfort zone, I don't have in me, or else I would have been an actual Vet!

I have a lot to learn still, in how to prevent issues in the first place, I'll be hanging around in the newbies Forum!

Thank you so much for your time, everyone!

Ask a Question