Fish got a flesh wound

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last Friday my wife fed the fish and moved on to some other garden tasks. She came back to the pond to find a fish with his head stuck under a rock, and was under distress. She freed the fish and he swam away. I noticed after the fact that it looked like it scabbed up. Today, something new, what I think was the scab is coming off. See my attached picture.

Is this fish going to be ok? Should I be concerned that he could get sick, and spread disease to my other kois?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Do'H!!!!!

Hopefully you can see this.

Thanks again!

Try t
shot0001.jpg

Reaction score
Poor baby. (S)He will likely be okay. If you have the option, you may want to put it into a QT with something to encourage more slime coat, but I wouldnt worry too much. We had one fish get out of QT one time while we were messing with it (the QT that is), and landed on the corner of a pallet. Took a bit to heal, but he is now fine, just a dime sized spot that is slightly discolored from the original color, and he had lost more than a few scales (a good chunk of meat).

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
DISEASES can be spread to other fish. Wounds are quite another matter. A broken leg is seldom contagious!
John

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I've been worried about the fish, but it seems to be happy. I'll keep and eye on it and hopefully it heals up like a champ!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As long as your water quality is good, it should heal on it's own. A few weeks ago we had a bad thunder storm, Dr.Phil got spooked and ran into the egg crate that the pump sits on and scraped his shoulder. His is healing.

Ask a Question