Fish habitat made from PVC or tree branches

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I want to create additional fish habitat. Thinking about making it from PVC piping or tubes. Another option that much simpler to do ( and better looking), is just dump some hardwood branches in pond. What is the better option? I'm worry that wood will rot and add unwanted nutrients in water. What is your opinion?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Check out pondboss, they have a forum dedicated to fish habitat construction. I’ve seen the use of wood pallets, cinder block, balls with pvc sticking out of it a couple feet long.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yeah, don’t think you want to stick dead trees in your pond.

Once I took a 3” or 4” (don’t recall what size) PVC T and glued black landscape fabric to it. I cut some of the fabric like fringe and layered it. Not only was it a hidden hide, but the “fringe” floated with the water current and made it look like sea weed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, don’t think you want to stick dead trees in your pond.

Once I took a 3” or 4” (don’t recall what size) PVC T and glued black landscape fabric to it. I cut some of the fabric like fringe and layered it. Not only was it a hidden hide, but the “fringe” floated with the water current and made it look like sea weed.
Nice idea , I might try it. I accidently tore some netting in pond . Now it looks like sea weed

Ask a Question